• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cutting plexi glass

Started by Carole, Nov 09, 2009, 12:45:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

What's the right tool for cutting plexi glass?
Mine has arrived, it is the right length but they didn't cut the height down and it's too big.

Not sure whether I will have the right tool, my husband is not sure and really only has tools for doing carpentry. 

I sent a message to Mick but not sure if I have the right E mail address for him.

Carole

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

I'm sure Mick's sent you the same answer, but just for anyone else wondering about cutting plexiglass.

The answer is, with a hacksaw, but *slowly*. The plexiglass will melt at the cut if you go too fast, and that will clog the blade up with sticky lumps of plastic, and you'll get a very rough edge from the cut.

It's worth bearing in mind, it's easier to cut the plexiglass down to size than cut the laptop screen down to size...

Mike

I've used an electric jigsaw successfully, in fact all the sheets i cut for the society members were done using a B&D Jigsaw. You just need to do it slowly and carefully and apply minimum pressure. be patient whilst cutting.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks every-one, it's worth knowing, our hacksaw it pretty ropey and slightly bent, so Mick has kindly said he would do it for me.

Carole

Ian

that's not a nice way to talk about mick.

Well, maybe he's a bit ropey... ;)

Jim

Carole

I don't know about plexi glass but when I cut Perspex you have to make sure the surface is taped (I use duct tape) on both sides so you cut through the tape.

mickw

Any fine toothed (sharp) blade - slowly to allow the "bits" to cool and fall away, otherwise they will melt together behind the blade (especially with power tools) and basically weld both bits together again  :(

Tape on either side helps to hold the material surface together and prevent chipping.  With a little care and determination you can override this precaution and send acrylic shrapnel in all directions  :lol:

Something I learnt recently -

Acrylic - Perspex or Plexiglas
Fairly scratch resistant, fairly UV resistant, prone to shatter

Polycarbonate - Lexan
Not scratch resistant, not very UV resistant (goes cloudy after time), fairly flexible, does not shatter - Cheaper than Acrylic  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional