• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guide scope mount

Started by Simon E, Oct 14, 2009, 11:28:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Found this on the net http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astrophotography/piggy%20back%20mounting%20platform%20and%20rings/combo.html

Looks ok, but spoke to the woman at the place and she said it wouldn't fit the nexstar 8se as there are not enough screw holes, I was think of drilling a couple of holes and using self tapers to fix the unit to the main scope. What does everyone reckon.

Also is this sort of thing good as a guide scope, what should I be looking for, does it need cross hairs in the glass. http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Konus/telescope-for-astronomy-and-general-spotting/(80400%20TT104)vista80.html

Also looking at building a DIY wedge and wondered if it was a good idea to get a cheap laser finder to mount on the wooden wedge so I can easy align it with Polaris, hopefully making it easier on the mount to take longer exposure photos.

Simon
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

Been also now looking at OAG to guide the SCT, lots of people seem to think this is better suited for the SCT type telescopes. With some good tests between the OAG to A normal refractor, piggybacked. All centered around flex etc

Does anyone know of a company that sells the ORION DELUXE OAG

As this could be a more cost effective option, as I wouldn't have to buy a mount for it.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mac

Quotedoes it need cross hairs in the glass

They do help.
Personal choice really.
Once your finder scope is aligned up with your main scope.
by placing the object under your cross hairs, you can normally find it in your main scope.

Saying that my smaller scope dosen't even have a finder,
I just use a green laser pointer to get me in the general direction, and then use the main scope.

anything like a small 8*50 or 10*50, will suffice for a finder scope.

Mac.