• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Telescope control software

Started by Carole, Jul 20, 2010, 22:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Starry Night does not support my Mount.  According to their list it doesn't seem to support the HEQ5 either.

1.Orion SkyQuest IntelliScope.
2.Orion Atlas and Sirius mounts (select Nexstar 5).
3.Meade LX-200 and Autostar-equipped robotic telescopes (such as the ETX 90/125 and LX200 GPS).
4.Celestron Ultima 2000, Nexstar 5, Nexstar 8, Nexstar 11 GPS, NexStar CPC and Nexstar 114 GT telescopes (will not work with other Nexstar models).
5.Generic LX-200 Type Scopes. The Generic LX-200 driver uses the absolute minimum of the LX-200 control protocol, and is thus compatible with a wide variety of amateur type telescopes and mounts that use so-called LX200 emulation. The following telescopes and mounts support the generic LX200 protocol (there may be others): Astro-Physics AP series, Astro-Electronic FS-2, Losmandy Gemini, Mel Bartels Controllers.
6.ACL Based Telescopes. This includes many types of research-grade telescopes controlled using Astronomy Command Language. Any telecope controlled by either of these packages is accessible via the ACL-based Telescope driver. This includes most Optical Guidance, DFM, Optomechanics Research, SciTech and Merlin research telescopes and mounts.
7.Vixen SkySensor 2000.
8.Astro-Physics 1200 GTO.
9.AstroOptik research telescopes.
10.Astrometric Instruments SkyGuide TCS.
11.Telescope Simulator (for testing)
12.*Digital Setting Circle computers that recognize the Meade LX200 generic protocol - such as the Argo Navis
Macintosh.

On the Macintosh, Starry Night Pro controls telescopes with its own telescope plug-in. Telescopes currently supported:

1.Meade LX200
2.Meade LX200 GPS
3.LX200 Compatible Scope
4.Meade ETX Autostar
5.Autostar V2.2 or later ((ETX)
6.Celestron NexStar 60, 80, 114 GT
7.Celestron NexStar 5 or 8
8.Celestron NexStar 8 GPS
9.Celestron NexStar 11 GPS
10.Celestron NexStar CPC
11.Orion SkyQuest IntelliScope
12.Orion Atlas and Sirius mounts (select Nexstar 5)

I was wondering what other software is out there and which is the simplest to use.

Carole

Mike

It will be supported it will just be listed under something else. I know the EQ6 is but I can't remember what.

You can also get scope control from Stellarium and Carte du Ceil, both of which are free.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I've tried all the Celestron options on Starry Night, but none of them work.

I'll have a go at the others.

Carole

Ian

Generally, the easiest one to try is the basic lx-200 interface. The interface is limited, but quite well supported in other manufacturers kit.

You might need to set your handset to talk lx-200 too.

Mike

Carole I would strongly suggest you concentrate on the basics of imaging first and get them right before moving onto mount control as it adds a whole new level of complexity.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Have you got the Ascom plug in for the EQ6?

It dosent come with Starry night so you probably dont.
You need to download and install it.

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/

Rocket Pooch

Oh no, I agree with Mike, get the basics ok and setup the observatory.  As soon as you start automating things its going to get tricky and as yet I think I remember your also running of off two laptops as well, I could just imagine the pain its going to be having the planiterium software on one and a game controller on another?

Hey that whole line fitted in with room on my 24" HD PC screen, cool.

Chris

Carole

OK, sounds as if it's going to be a bit complicated, will shelve it for now. 
Meanwhile have made a few notes of comments above.

Thanks

Carole

Mac

Give me a "B".... 8)

So why are you still using two laptops? and not the one with xp on it?

There should be nothing that dosent work on the xp one.
If so what is still not working on the XP machine?

Mac.

Carole

The XP laptop didn't have USB 2 ports on it and only had two anyway which meant I had to use a USB1 hub, would not work with USB 2 hub and cameras etc would not work properly on USB1 ports or hub. 

I've got some USB 2 ports installed over the weekend so should be OK to use it now.

Carole   

Better put that in a new post or I'll get accused of highjacking again.

Carole

Ian

not sure you can hijack your own thread. You can however digress, which is a good time to start a new topic :)