• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Anyone got a Cheshire eyepiece I can borrow ?

Started by RobertM, Feb 13, 2008, 21:38:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Need to check the collimation on a refractor..

Many thanks
Robert

JohnP

Hi Robert - I have one... Do you mean Reflector (I'm not sure if you can use it to check a refractor)... John

Mike

I don't think a Cheshire will work on a Refractor. I have a laser collimator that might help.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

certainly when I use mine on my newt, I rely on the centre spot.

I hope you don't find your scope out of collimation. That's a problem for a refractor. You've not dropped it, have you?

Seriously, the best bet would be to star test it. Of course, you need to see a star to do the test...

RobertM

Thanks for the offers guys.

Yes it's definitely a refractor and I'm sure the problem is collimation.  I've taken a couple of images and the stars flare out on one side, rotating the Imaging train (CCD/Filter wheel) by 180 degrees eliminates that as a cause.  Assuming it's not the stars, that leaves just the lens.  Yes I know a star test would be best but I don't fancy messing around in the dark with a tiny allen key until collimation is very close, and then who knows when a star will next appear !

Mike, as you're a bit closer than John could I pop around this evening and pick up your collimator ?  If so let me know the best time.

Many thanks
Robert

Mike

Robert,

Out tonight i'm afraid !

I should be in tomorrow though.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

No problem, I'll be in from 6pm tomorrow so any time from then on is good for me.

Mike

I'll PM you my mobile number. Give me a call.