• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cooling a DSLR

Started by mickw, Jun 18, 2011, 10:24:42

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

The KAF8300 chip is ok, not great but it does have some good qualities such as surface area/overload margin and relative cost.  If you want a cheap cooled OCS then there are two QHY cameras thet fit the bill, alternatively a second hand SXV-M25 would be a good bet.  I do agree though that the cost is the major problem for anyone and there is definitely a gap in the market.  Trouble is these things need development effort, people have mortgages to pay and mouths to feed - volumes are simply not viable so I don't see costs coming down.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

I really do not think this is a cheap hobby?  I keep telling myself when I put the kit in a car which is worth more than the car.

I think I'll take up sailing its cheaper :-)

Tony G

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Jun 29, 2011, 16:56:11
I think I'll take up sailing its cheaper :-)

Not necessarily.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Triplets are never cheap  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:very quick Mick!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
In my opinion I'd stick with a F5.6 120 refractor and a cooled OSC CCD and not square stars of an Epsilon any day and probably save £1,000 in the process :-)  But each to thier own I guess?

And what's wrong with square stars?  I'm getting quite fond of them!

Just for the sake of accuracy, the stars themselves do not look square but it is the dispersed energy around the star that tends to be squarish.

MarkS

Having auctioned for £2550 the Bananascope has been relisted.  This time as a "buy it now" for £3500 instead of an auction - 28 days to decide!   Do I really want a giant pair of yellow binoculars?

Mike

I wonder why it was relisted.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I think it didn't meet the  reserve
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional