• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - Fri 22nd to Mon 25th May

Started by Mike, Apr 24, 2009, 16:04:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Damn, it's not looking good weather-wise, not looking good mount-wise either!   :cry:

The Thing

Looks like Mike, Fay and I could arrive about the same time. Looking closely at Google Maps shows hookups all up the left (west?) side of the field. I will ask how hookup pitches are allocated. I can get there quite early if it's first come first served. Am I right in thinking that the top end of the field (north) is where everyone without a hookup will be aiming to pitch up?

mickw

For charging batteries etc. you could just park your car near the hookup with the battery charging on the floor.
You could then pitch your tent in the group at the other end of the field ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

I think "Metcheck" is broken - It's not forecasting rain for the weekend  :D

Mike

Mick - Knowing your reputation, let's set the record straight now...

Deep Sky Camp is NEXT weekend OK ?

So DON'T drive all the way down to Biddenden this weekend !

Got that?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Biddenden ?  I thought it was Cudham  :oops:

mickw

QuoteLast time we were about 100 yards away from the caravans/hook-ups in the corner of the field.

Just had another look at Google Earth, would I be right in saying that the intention is to "try" and get set up in the lower right (South East) corner of the top field behind the trees/pond ?
This looks to give better protection from stray lights and I assume the bottom field next to the road is nothing to do with Woodlands.

Tony G

Mick,

If we were to set up where you say, wouldn't the trees to the south obstruct the southern horizon.  :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

The best thing do to is to get down there around the same time, meet up, take a look and decide where we are going to go then.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

It might be an idea to take a fishing rod and a flag,
once you've decided your location, hoist the flag
so at least we will be able to locate you.

Sadly i wont be able to make it, as i've been lumbered at work to work over the bank hols.

but i might try and get down on saturday for a visit.

Mac.

PS. I''ve jsut been upgraded to 16meg Broadband for free  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

mickw

Is there a "Master Plan" (that doesn't involve 16 meg  :evil:) For a meet on Friday ?

Time or whatever ?

Location or whatever ?

(Stoppit Mike, I know it's Biddenden in July  ;) )

Mike

If you are going on Friday then try and get down for about 2pm then you can meet up with Dunc, Fay and I.

If not, PM me for my mobile number and call us when you are at the site.

Fay

Mick, may I be so bold as to ask, if you are not using your leisure battery, can you still put it on board in case I have power problems, as I usually do?

Thanks,

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Mike - I should think I would be OK to get there by 2, but I'll PM you anyway "just in case"  :oops:

Fay - Not sure if I'll be using it or not, but I'll be bringing it anyway and you'll be welcome to use it.

Fay

Thanks Mick, don't forget to bring yourself! :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!