• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Witches Broom narrowband with dual rig

Started by Carole, Jul 21, 2015, 14:47:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I took this almost a month ago, but due to lethargy/lack of motivation (see Pickerings Triangle thread), I couldn't even be bothered to do any flats until I did the Pickerings Triangle image 2 nights ago, so only just got around to stacking and processing.  Mainly because I have done this target a few times, and was really only doing it for the exercise of trying to align the scopes and cameras in my dual rig.  It seemed like a good choice because I could get the bright star central, and rotate the "arms".  However as it happened I didn't do quite as good a job of that as I had thought, and now I need to remove the camera anyway to try to fit the new filterwheel, so will have to start over again anyway. Such is life for an imager.   :!

Anyway, having got the flats decided to give it a "go".
Hope I have processed the stars a bit better this time.

Ha 7 x 600secs (1 hour 10mins) ED80/Atik460
Oiii 7 x 600secs WOZS71/Atik314 + FR x 0.8
NEQ6, guided with QHY5 and PHD
Stacked in Astroart and processed in Photoshop

N.B. this image and the Pickerings Triangle are the first I have done since they changed my street lights to LED

Ivor

Lovely detail and the stars have a better shape in this one, was the rig set up differently to the Pickerings Triangle capture?

Carole

No same set up Ivor, just did a better job of the star processing in this one.

I need to sort out the flexure in the 2nd imaging scope which I think was causing some of the star misalignment issues.
I need to be able to adjust so it is looking at the same thing as the main scope and currently have it in guide rings.  I am thinking of getting a Skywatcher guidescope mount, I gather these have a good and solid feedback.  Does any-one have any experience of them?  Any-one have one for sale???

Carole

Kenny

Stunning detail Carole. Beautiful image. The colours were a surprise, particularly the blue / aqua - is that how this object is normally coloured?

MarkS

A good test of the dual rig.  Twice as much imaging in the same time slot is a good way to go.

It looks like they've combined together pretty well.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.

Kenny, this is narrowband and you can colour whatever colour you like, though there are some traditional palettes.  This is bicolour so I put the ha into the red channel, and the Oiii into the Green and blue channels.  Generally a lot of people like yellow or burnt yellow and blue, but I am not so keen on the yellows.  I also did a red and blue version but the orange version showed up more nebulosity which is why I posted that one.

Even in normal colour i.e. with DSLRs it comes out blue and red with no tampering.

This is my red and blue/green version:

MarkS

I prefer the red and blue/green version :)

Carole