• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Leo Triplet, 23 March 2012, Rother Valley Campsite

Started by The Thing, Mar 26, 2012, 17:59:48

Previous topic - Next topic

julian

RobertM

Looking excellent Duncan and the stars seem pretty good to the edge.  I would say in this LT the background looks blacker that a black thing painted black - but probably not much you can do about that without some gradient removal tool ? I didn't get to see the orginal but the colours look ok on this one.

Robert

mickw

Looks really good Duncan, nice detail and colours.

I can just make out the gradients or whatever, looks like a couple of arcs across the bottom of the image.  It looks like you could be picking up a reflection from somewhere.  Were the Taj Mahal lights on ?  I thought your tube and dewshield were flocked though.
Is it possible that dew could be collecting on the inside of the dewshield at the open end ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Thanks everyone, yes I made the background very black to hide the gradients/artefacts. It could easily be reflections, I probably should flock inside the t-mount as well.

I don't think it was the Taj Mahal lights Mick, I need to examine the flats, I think there may have been light leakage when I took them. The funny thing is it looks like the effect you get when the back of a film camera isn't sealed properly or you don't put the lid on the film processing tank properly before you put the lights on. Weird.