• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Laser Collimator for DSC

Started by MarkS, Mar 10, 2010, 08:47:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Does anyone have a laser collimator they can bring along to DSC? 

I'd like to try it out on the Tak to see if it's easier or more accurate than using the Cheshire.

Mark

Mike

Yep.  I'll bring mine along.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

RobertM

Mark,

When you use the collimator make sure you have the focuser vertical and rotate the collimator to ensure the beam returns in the same place.  If the beam describes a circle then the collimator is out but in theory you could still center that circle.  I've been finding the Cheshire more accurate though more difficult to use since the MN190 tube is two long and because of that I've been mulling over buying the Hotech.  It's expensive but is factory set correctly and self centering; you may want to consider one too.

Maybe the society would consider buying a Hotech collimator for DSC's ?  I'm sure it would get more use than the Lightbridge did.

Robert

Mike

Robert that is a good idea. I'll pass it onto a committee member.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I wouldn't think it would be considered for DSC use (needs of the few - Subs of the many etc.)

But it may be a useful piece of "Society" kit for members to use as required  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Being an owner of a F4 8" its a very good idea....