• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Casting a concrete pier

Started by MarkS, Apr 24, 2013, 13:07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I've decided to go for concrete piers in the observatory - cheap, solid, deflection and vibration free.

What's the best way to cast one?  I've seen 300mm diameter steel duct in 1.5m lengths on eBay.  To my mind that seems ideal.  Any better suggestions?

Is a cubic meter of concrete under each pier necessary or will 0.5 cubic meters be sufficient?

I laid my North/South line last weekend using Pole Star and verified by solar noon sunshine.  So soon I can mark out the plot, remove the kiddie's climbing frame and start digging.

Mark

The Thing

You can get cardboard tube used for casting pillars, you can cut it off afterwards. Or see if your local carpet fitter has some old inners!

MarkS

Cardboard tube sounds like a good idea.  But I think I would leave the cardboard in place to help with thermal insulation - don't want warm air currents rising up from the pillar when planetary imaging.

mickw

Quotewarm air currents rising up
:o

I thought the observatory was going to be in the UK   :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

I'm thinking about those summer nights following hot sunny days with stifling shed temperatures.

Well, I can dream can't I?

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 24, 2013, 15:47:22
Cardboard tube sounds like a good idea.  But I think I would leave the cardboard in place to help with thermal insulation - don't want warm air currents rising up from the pillar when planetary imaging.
I have come across people (on the web) who carpet the concrete pier so that it hurts less when collided with in the dark, also it's a nice warm covering available in a variety of colours and patterns to match the rest of the decor :)

MarkS

It'll have wall to wall carpet so it might as well have carpet on the concrete piers as well ...

mickw

Altair Astro suggest about 1/2 sq M for their Skyshed pier

Carole

Well when I installed mine, every-one kept telling me 3' deep, and 2' 6" x 2'6" square which is what I have got.
I have the Skypod Pier.

No idea what that is in Sq M

Carole

mickw

QuoteNo idea what that is in Sq M

Nearly a Sq M

Carole

Ah, just worked it out. Comes to roughly 1.5 Sq metres.

Carole

mickw

Actually 0.53 sqM

Can't be bigger than 1 because of sides less than 1 metre

Carole

Thinking back to my school days, don't you multiply 2'6" x 2.6" x 3' to get the cubic measurement?  Not had to do these sort of calculations since then.  I converted it to yards first, which is why I said approximately, couldn't be naffed to also convert to metres as yards are pretty close. 

Yes I think I worked it out in cubic yards instead of square metres, in which case no idea how to do that!!!

Never mind I don't need to do these sort of calculations any more so will leave it to the experts. 

Carole

mickw

:o :o
Hardly the right person to be called an expert - I hate maths, but................

Calculate in feet then divide by 27 to give yards (which is close enough to metres)

That was the long way - this is the easy way

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

;)

Mac

an easier way is to measure in meters first, no conversion then. :cheesy: