• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Upcoming DSC...

Started by JohnP, Nov 02, 2009, 10:08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Unless the weather is extreme, i'll be going anyway too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Better get some extra beer then  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

£100 for 3 nights still sounds a lot to me... !!!!

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
£100 for 3 nights still sounds a lot to me... !!!!

It probably costs them that to remove the mud afterwards!

mickw

Having second thoughts about going, the only weather forecasts that don't say there will be rain say there will be heavy rain every day/night  :(

Mike

It's way too early for the forecasts to be accurate. Wait until nearer the time and I guarantee they will have changed from today's forecast.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I probably can't be there Saturday night but if Friday night is clear, I'll certainly be there.

There are usually excellent breaks between bands of heavy rain.

Mark

mickw

Quoteexcellent breaks between bands of heavy rain

They would be the beer breaks  ;)

Tony G

Quote from: mickw on Nov 10, 2009, 08:57:17
Quoteexcellent breaks between bands of heavy rain

They would be the beer breaks  ;)

But Mark, would you have enough time to take your cover off your scope before the next downpour, according to the weather forecasts on the web, and Mick I'm sad to say this, but if these were beer breaks, it would be a dry weekend (drinking, that is  ;))
Decisions, decisions........................., do I stay at home, and do some odd jobs around the house like re-roofing the East Wing, or do I go by the Maldives weather forecast, where it show clear skies and lovely warm weather, and continue with the plans and head south to Blacklands.  :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Well I am probably not going, really fed up about it, but Ian said perhaps we could have an extra DSC in january. If the rain looked showery, then ok, but it looks solid rain.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I'll try to organise going down to that field in Hartfield for a reckie, perhaps we can do an UDSC there instead and try it out Fay.

Carole

MarkS

I'll make my final decision on Friday - it should then be apparent when the gaps between the rainbelts will come.

In any case, it's tempting to go down there, curl up in a warm tent and sleep solidly for a day or so.

mickw

You have WARM tent now ?   :o

Tony G

What! is it not raining in Hartfield this weekend. :-?  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
You have WARM tent now ?   :o

No, but the sleeping bag is.