• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory Progress

Started by MarkS, May 15, 2013, 20:35:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Very good, but its not painted :-)  Also did you notice progress slowed when the OAS guys got there.

Ivor

Like the video, it appears you didn't use any insulation in the walls, did you feel it would create more condensation problems than remove?

Did you use any CAD software to plan the build out? I was considering trying this http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

MarkS

Ivor,

It's not insulated and it's not heated but it is well ventilated.  The ventilation means that dew from imaging sessions evaporates quite quickly and it means the scopes are kept at or near ambient temperature, so no long waits for cooling down before imaging, except in the summer. It also prevents any interior condensation problems. However, roof insulation would be a good idea in the summer to prevent interior heat build up.

Wall insulation would be a good idea if I wanted to heat it in the winter but first I would need a means of reducing ventilation.

I don't know if my approach is the best approach.  if I'm persuaded otherwise, I can easily gain access to retro-fit wall insulation, by unscrewing the interior panelling.

I didn't use CAD for the design but more or less made it up as I went along with the aid of a few scrappy diagrams.  The standard width of the sheet materials determined most of the measurements i.e. floor area, wall lengths, spacings for wall uprights and for roof trusses.  The height of the overlapping shiplap determined wall and flap heights. The 15 degree setting on my bench saw determined the roof pitch angle.

You're welcome to come and take a look (since we won't be at uDSC) - just PM me.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ivor

Thanks for the kind offer, I'd like to take you up on it but at a later date once I've planned out mine in more detail and worked out more of the sticking points.