• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory installation progress

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2010, 17:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

The lawn will recover (eventually). 
My son is a gardener and scarified it for me last year.
Yeah yeah, I get it SCARIFY THE BIRDS. 

Husband had a bit of a shock when he realised how much space the decking is taking up, it's because of the bays that it's so long.

Carole

Ian

oh I don't know. It's got to be better than breaking a tooth on lead shot.

Carole

Quoteoh I don't know. It's got to be better than breaking a tooth on lead shot.
Ian, your sense of humour escapes me sometimes, I've no idea what this means.  

Please explain :undecided:

Ian

should have quoted Phil. I just had an image in my mind of Mark running up and down the lawn with a scarifier collecting small birds for dinner...

Carole

PhilB

Quote from: Ian on Mar 01, 2010, 10:16:04
..... Mark running up and down the lawn with a scarifier collecting small birds for dinner...

only way to do it if you gonna have enough for a decent meal
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

The hole was dug today.  I also got stuck in moving all the soil.  It wasn't so bad until we hit the clay which was VERY sticky, and thank goodness we borrowed Robert's tool (see earlier post)).  My son in law dug out while I scraped the sticky clay off the tool when it came out and relayed wheelbarrows full around the garden.  Managed to get rid of most of it, but that last lot of clay will have to be disposed of.

Joists removed for digging hole.  Apparently he wanted to make sure it was central which was why he put the frame work in first.

Although it doesn't look it from this image, this is 3' deep (see measurements on rule) and 2' x 2'.
Took half a day to dig out.

He's now busy mixing concrete.  

Carole

Template for the Pier (upside down).

Sunk into concrete, viewed through the rafters of the decking above.  The frame built around it is not touching any of the decking.

Mac

silly question i know,
But have you polar aligned the pier roughly before you set it in concrete?
and are the bolt holes in line with the base of the pier?

Only it makes life a lot easier. (Less adjustment required)

Mac ;)

Carole

Hi Mac,

a) I haven't got the Pier yet, was sent the template by the people providing the Pier.  I assume the Pier will be coming with the Observatory.  

b) I discussed orientation with AltairAstro and this particular Pier has 360 degree adjustment so doesn't matter which way the template faces so long as it is level (which it is).  See the two plates at the top, you can adjust level and orientation.

Image from their site

Quotes from the website:
QuoteIt's the easiest pier to install, period, and the special adjustable pier-head saves you set-up time. Pier levelling and rotation can be adjusted AFTER installation on the base! (This is the most innovative pier on the market and the first to sport this feature).
QuoteWhat's the benefit of post-installation adjustment? The pier head can be locked in any position, at any time. That means there's no need for perfect North alignment of the base bolts, and even if you get the base levelling slightly wrong, you can still ensure your mount is perfectly upright and aligned North/South. That means you don't have to be a DIY expert to install it!

Carole

Mac

QuoteI discussed orientation with AltairAstro and this particular Pier has 360 degree adjustment so doesn't matter which way the template faces so long as it is level (which it is)

Thats going to save you a lot of time and swearing then.

So long at the holes line up on the pods. ;)
Mac.

Carole

QuoteSo long at the holes line up on the pods
Yes you never know what lies ahead.  I joined the POD Forum and there is one member who is having nightmares trying to assemble it, although no-one else seems to be having any problems. 

Decking is now finished, just waiting for the POD and Pier to arrive.
(N.B. Hose is inserted ready to pull the electrics cable through later).

Carole

Quoteelectrics cable
Which reminds me.  I want to put a small dim red working light inside, any suggestions?
I guess I mainly need it to shine on the laptop so I can see which keys to press in the dark.  Or maybe  a dim generalised red light.  So it could be on a bendy neck like Mac had at DSC, or fixed to the wall above, maybe even a strip of Red LED might be OK.  

Carole

Rose

Less grass to cut, Carole.

Rose.
Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.
From the Navajo.

Carole

Blimey Rose, that was quick, I only just finished the post and was just tweaking it.

Actually it's not taken much grass away, as that area was mostly flower bed, so less flowers and weeding to do.

Carole