• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon 350D Peltier Mod

Started by MarkS, Oct 25, 2009, 16:47:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Have you had any more problems with keeping the moisture (and hence ice) out ?

No, I opened this up after 4 hours, while it was still running cold, looked at the CCD and there was no hint of dewing up.

Mac

QuoteI opened this up after 4 hours, while it was still running cold, looked at the CCD and there was no hint of dewing up

Cool.

Yup pun intended. ;)

How much would you charge to mod a camera?
I've got the glass.
Need to purchase the copper,

Just thinking about the amount of time i currently lack.

Even the UDSC is looking problematic, but im digging in deep.
Mac.

MarkS

I've just peltier modified my second Canon 350D.  My 60x60mm heatsink didn't arrive in time so I had to buy a 70x70mm from Maplin.

Big difference!  It's 80g heavier but it's given me an extra 5C of cooling.  I did a couple of cooled 60min darks (at room temperature) and reckon the amount of cooling is now around 40C from it's level without cooling.

The only annoying feature is the remaining amp-glow.  I'm seriously wondering if the 400D maybe the ideal camera for peltier cooling (sorry Mick for all the nasty things I've said about the 400D in the past!).  Even though it's dark current is higher than the 350D, it has no amp-glow after cooling.  Even better, it is probably just as easy to peltier mod as the 350D.  I'm very tempted ...

Mark

mickw

Strangely I have one for sale.........................
£1000   :lol:

I'm actually tempted to (try to) mod them both - Ha at least.
Time and patience (or lack of) will tell
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional