• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Has anyone seen this...

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 08, 2012, 05:34:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Bumped into this image taken with a 70-200L canon lens at 200mm F5.6, I think its amazing.  And I have one of those lenses

http://www.caliu.fotografiaastronomica.com/grancampo/grancampo.htm

Fay

That is lovely Chris. it looks like Thors Helmet
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

A modified 5D - Brave man :o

Does look a bit like Thors Helmet
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Just goes to show what you can actually achieve with anything.
and thats only with 4 hours exposure.

Thats a pretty darn good photo.

Hmmm time to dust of the D3 and get out there.

now wheres my screwdriver and knife.

Mac.

The challenge is to get 4 hours of clear skies over here though. :cheesy:

Fay

i know its the Pleiades, but the shape is similar to TH
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Olly sent me one of his new as yet unpublished ones and he has taken a heath robinson approach to removing the spikes and it works perfectly!

RobertM

That's a very nice image, shame about the spikes though.  I do wish Canon would put decent curved iris blades in their lenses.  The only other way that I know of removing them is with a circular aperture restruction before the front lens and I think that's what Olly does.  It's easy enough to do but it's a shame to spend all that money on expensive glass when you don't use all of it !

Robert

PhilB

The problem with photographic lenses has always been that photographers have always expected the full aperture performance of their expensive glasses to be inferior to that of the same lens system when stopped down   :(  As for star bursts due to the lens iris, this is seen as a desirable artistic effect :cry:  as is light bouncing about inside the lens causing all manner of artefacts
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Phil, Robert is right Olly has used compas cutters to cut an apature mask for the front of his lens.  As for the70-200L F4 canon Lens I don't really know why anyone would stop it down its very sharp at F4 and quite flat as well.  I'm going to give mine a try when the big nebula's come upin the summer, lots of Ha me thinks.