• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Has anyone here ever bought time on a remote scope?

Started by Daniel, May 16, 2008, 14:28:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Just saw this place mentioned in this months astronomy now http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/

I was wondering if anyone had ever used this or facilities like it and how easy it is to work with seeing as it's all remote

:O)

Mike

There is one on teh internet somewhere that I used and is free to book time on the scoe (I can't remember the name of it off teh top of my head). I found that on a lot of occasions some sort of error meant you didn't have your pictures returned. Also, the quality of the images was really naff, plus it was difficult to get a time slot with it being so busy.

Obviously, that is just one remote scope so I can't vouch for them all.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

I think the Bradford Robotic telescope is one of those that offer a free service but you'd have to try it out to find how good or bad it was.

Ian

we did think about getting time on one of the Faulks telescopes. It didn't get very far as we wanted to do some proper science with the images...

I still think it's a great idea, to get data from a scope that we'd never have a chance to otherwise.

Got any ideas for targets?

MarkS

Extending the idea: how much would it cost to have your own observatory built in New Mexico or Chile with an on-site caretaker? Do such "observatory parks" exist?

Looking at it the other way, maybe it's a good retirement idea - go out there, buy a plot of land, people then have observatories built on sub plots and pay pay you ground rent and maintenance fees for the privilege of you looking after their personal remote observatories. 

mickw

Arizona is clear, accessible and relatively cheap  ;)
Follow this link -
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=3254.msg14319#msg14319

I think there's still some plots/properties for sale
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional