• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M84, M86-91

Started by MarkS, May 05, 2008, 07:58:57

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I took this in France over the weekend.

Canon EOS 300D with 300mm telephoto at F5.6  - 24 x 5minute subs guided with the Celestron C11 and a Philips SPC900 webcam.

Fay

Mark, I love it, really nice!

Hope to be able to get outside a couple of nights this week.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Well done Mark. That is one of the Photo Challenges ticked off the list.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Very, very nice Mark ! You've got the framing spot on for all those Messiers.  We could also have a 'count the faint fuzzies' contest at the next OAS meeting with that image ...

Looks like one challenge has been won without anyone else managing to fire a shot ;)

MarkS

Fay, Mike, Robert, thanks for your comments.

I discovered that Makarian's Chain is a surprisingly challenging subject - those galactic discs are very faint.  But with a dedicated monochrome CCD and dark skies I'm sure someone could get a better image showing more of the discs.

JohnP

Mark - That is very nice - seems you are getting some very nice images from your French trips... Have you got a link to the full size image (or is this a crop from the full size). A dedicated CCD would be nice but unless you have one of those £4000 35mm size chips I doubt you'll be ale to get the FOV with a single image - it'll take a mosaic of somekind.

Love the image though,  John

MarkS

John,

It's the full frame with the edges trimmed slightly (post -stacking) and then 3x3 binned.  If you're interested, I'll post the unbinned image tonight.

This trip I got 2 clear nights out of the 3 nights I spent there.  On the other clear night I got M101 but haven't processed it yet.   I was questioned by security at Dover before boarding the ferry - they wanted to know what was in the big boxes!

You're right about the huge expense of a dedicated CCD with big chip size - compared with £150 for a second hand Canon EOS300D.  Maybe someone should produce monochrome DSLRs ...

Mike

Mark - Have you had a go at counting the number of galaxies in this image? There are loads. It would be interesting to know how many there were.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I haven't actually tried to count them but I can see a large number.  That area of sky has more than its fair share of galaxies!

Mike

I can count approx 30.