• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

APOD spikes.

Started by doug, Nov 12, 2009, 09:18:36

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

The APOD today shows some of those "prongs" on the image of stars.  Should this be allowed????????????  I ask myself ??

Oh, dear.   Sorry.  :(

No offence meant to anybody.  :roll:

Doug.  :)

Always look on the bright side of life ...

RobertM

Doug, am thinking you're the owner of a very big wooden spoon!

Rick

I presume  you mean this one: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091112.html

The description says "An artistic presentation, the image shows spiky foreground stars..." so I'd guess the spikes have been added somehow, but the link under "artistic presentation" is a bit vague. It's not clear to me exactly how they've been added, as there's at least one bunch coming from a star that's not in the image, and they're not appearing on all the stars you'd expect to see them on. The result's messy and distracting.

JohnP

Well I'd bet money it's Noel's new Pro Star Spike Tool. The secondary diffraction spikes & the rainbow colour in the spikes give it away I think.

Anyway's as I have always said spikes look OK on some images..... I agree THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!

John

mickw

Assuming NGC 981 is real, what about the rest of it ?
Calling it an "artistic presentation" doesn't tell us what it is.
Is it a captured image that's had fancy bits added to it or CGI or a canvas - no mention of equipment used.

I don't like it
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Mick,

Quote from: mickw on Nov 12, 2009, 10:12:24
I don't like it

That is your opinion, and we know what peoples opinions lead to on here, arguments start due to these differences, and friendship fall apart in a matter of minutes, due to the stupidity of members voicing on this forum what they like and what they don't, so keep your opinions to yourself.

By the way, I don't think much on that image either Mick.  ;) :)

Tony G   
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

I agree this is an image ruined by a poor choice of very obvious artificially added spikes. If they had made them a lot smaller and more subtle it would have been a nice image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Go spikey, Go spikey.

Sorry don't know what came over me then.

Nope it definitely dosen't work on this image.

although i do like those two white lines he's managed to capture
just below the galaxy. ;)

Mac.

Fay

I was not struck on this image as well, too folksy!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Quotealthough i do like those two white lines he's managed to capture

Probably the only genuine thing on the cartoon  :lol:

Thanks for your support Tony mate  ;)

If APOD is going put more of these things up, we'll need a new forum section..............

"Astro Crayons" seems fitting    :roll:

Delphine

They forgot to put Tinkerbell in!

mickw