• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 20 - 22 Feb 2015

Started by Carole, Feb 06, 2015, 08:50:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Continuing from my enquiries thread for DSC 2015.
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10157.0

Who is interested in going to DSC this month (weather permitting).

On the little feedback I have had so far Running Water seems the likely candidate.

Carole

RobertM

I'll not be going that far but I may spend a few hours with the portable stuff somewhere dark and closer.

Have you considered how windy it will be so near to the coast ?

Carole

QuoteHave you considered how windy it will be so near to the coast ?

No hadn't thought about that.

Well we could ask what the ground is like and try Cairds even if we have to leave the cars in the car park (see my other post).

Carole

julian

I'm up for it in my tin tent

julian

Carole

So are we talking about Cairds or Running Water Julian?

Carole

MarkS

Fay

I dont think I am going to this one, jury still out. will be going next month
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

So referring to this thread:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10157.0

Where does every-one want to go? 

Looking at the replies there could be about 4 people going (Including me weather permitting), in which case we could go to Cairds and if necessary leave the vehicles on the hard standing parking area in case the ground is too wet.  This might mean we would need an extra  long cable for Van hook up (I need to check on that), but we can still pitch the tents and kit on the field. 

Alternative, if there are only say 4 of us, those without vans might like to share the Glamping POD (and the cost) rather than pitch tents if it is wet.  Just heard from the owner who says the ground is drying out nicely. 

I have so far interested in this month:
Julian (Van)
Carole (Van)
Mark
Robert

Carole

Mike

I'm a 'maybe' at the moment as I can't commit. Got a lot on so I can only say yes or no nearer the time.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kenny

julian

QuoteWhere does every-one want to go? 
Don't care just want to go away in the van and do some astro imaging.

julian

Carole

OK as Robert doesn't want to go too far, and Mark wants to try out Cairds, I have checked the ground conditions with the owner. 

He says:

QuoteBecause we have had some frosts the ground is a little better than normal at this time of year. Yes there is a tractor to recover you from the site but the first section of ground we have put some reinforcement down but we could park about six vehicles on the entrance to site allowing if you like to just set your equipment up in the field. Ground starting to dry out nicely.

I have also enquired about using the Glamping POD, he's going to get back to me on that as he might have a booking. 

It could be we will have to leave the cars in the car park and set up on the field.

Is every-one happy with this scenario, as I think wherever we go the ground is likely to be damp this time of year. 

Carole

julian

MarkS

How far is the car park from the field (lugging equipment)?

Does it mean Julian/Carole will in the car park, away from us tents?

The Thing

I would try Cairds if I was going to be around :(

The car park is just in the top section of the field, which is not that big, so not far to move stuff.