• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Transit of Mercury

Started by The Thing, May 10, 2016, 11:27:21

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

10x 1/1500s @ ISO 800 through a gap in the clouds. I used Autostakkert! as I had read of people including the author stacking DSLR images with it, including deep sky subs! It doesn't handle RAW but will take a full size TIF. I used APT to capture but didn't turn on its 'Save a TIF version' option which would have made life easier. It seems to have done a really good job. Params were as for planets but i used 400px alignment points (the max) and a high min brightness level setting 75 points.

Image date, time and location:        16:57 UTC 9 May 2016, Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:  Meade LX90 8", Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor
Camera and filters used:                 Canon 1100D defiltered, LPS-D1, Baader Astrosolar Film
Processing applied:                         APT, Autostakkert!2, Irfanview (format conversion, resize), Lightzone (tinting, sharpening, levels, final resize)

Carole

Sounds like we both made almost the same mistake Duncan with what capture format we should have used.

Well done. Yours is a lot later in the day than mine, perhaps we could manage a mosaic between us.

Carole

MarkS

That's come out really nicely!

Mark

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Kenny

Nice one! Definitely better with a telescope attached to the end of the DSLR.  :lol: