• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My first blurry, overexposed M42

Started by Daniel, Jan 26, 2008, 21:30:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Ok, here goes, it's a bit blurry and grainy but here's an M42, this is 5x 30 sec at iso 3200

im going to try again as soon as the weathers good, but would i get as much nebulosity if I captured more images at a lower ISO and stacked them?

Damn, doesn't seem to want to work, for now, here's the link to the flickr image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23188472@N02/2220848795/

PS, any tips on any other good high magnitude nebula to image?

Tom C

Wow, that looks a lot better than I thought it would based on the topic title!!  Nice one :)

What equipment did you use?

Daniel

Hey man, thanks, This was taken on a Celestron C8n on a CG5 GOTO mount. I took it on a Canon 40D held onto the scope with a dodgy brace, looking through a 20MM eyepiece with a UHC-S filter for light polution

Ive finally just discovered a way of getting my camera close enough to the focuser so that i can do prime focus photography and still be able to focus to infinity, some hopefully the next image will be better, i've also got to try my hand at autoguiding, although if i used an off axis guider, i'll have the same problems preventing me from focusing again!

Fay

Daniel, have you looked on the Gallery at various images of M42 taken with Canon camera's?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Nice image Daniel,
considering the problems you were having with the camera and scope.
Another messier object with nebulosity around now is M45 (pleiades) or M31 if you get it early.
Good luck.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Daniel

Yes, I think seeing some of the images on the gallery are the reason why my tone about my image is a little muted, I think Mac's "M42 from Abbey Wood" was the first image I saw that made me think maybe I could yield some results from my area.

I think tonights imaging should go a lot better, managed to rig up a "proper"prime focus setup last night and the results were WAY better, unfortunately, it was also quite misty and very late so all of the easy targets were long gone, I did however see my first "other" nebula last night, the owl nebula, it was heavily overexposed due to the moon and the mist, but it was definetly there, so if the weahers better, I'll be looking out for that one.

I've tried plaedes before, but my old setup seemed to go in too close I'll try tonight the new rig, also M31 has escaped me so far, mainly because of the inability to shoot a wide, again, im holding out for that one tonight!

Oh, and another suprise I saw last night was M3!

PS, anyone know why my image attachment won't work?

Thanks

Daniel
:O)

mickw

Daniel, see "How to post images in this forum"
At the top of Astrophotography section.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Daniel

Doh! ahh thanks for that, have the image sorted now, think I'll post slightly smaller images in future though (especially if there as blurry as this one!)

Carole

Mick,

I read that before I tried to post mine but it says you need to attach it from somewhere that you have some webspace and I didn't have any webspace.  I tried to use Facebook but that didn't work.  It's not as straight forward as it sounds when you are doing this for the first time.

I've now got space on the OAS Gallery and it says you can use that for posting pictures on the Forum, so I hope that will work next time I've got an image to post.  

Carole

Fay

Try FLICKR, Carole. You can upload your image onto there & then download onto the Forum
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I tried to register on Flickr after you suggested it before but I kept going round in a circle with Yahoo and never actually getting into the FlickR site after I had registered and got fed up and abandoned it.

If it doesn't work on the Gallery, I'll give it another go.

thanks
Carole