• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Saturn 18-3-2011

Started by Carole, Mar 19, 2011, 09:29:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Went out to try to sort my guiding calibration out having consulted Craig Stark (see guiding thread).  Thought as it was almost a full Moon I'd have a go at Saturn while I was there.  I had forgotten how tricky taking planets was - how did I manage 3 years ago with an ETX!?!?!?!

Anyway:
Telescope SW ED120 2 x barlow
Phillips webcam
1865 frames captured in K3CCDtools
Stacked in Registax with some wavelets.  Colour and resolution tweaked in PS CS3
Bl****y freezing

Tried a 5 x barlow, but could not get focus.

Carole

Mac

Nice capture,

I think the 5x was pushing you optics over their limit,
Mac.

Carole

QuoteI think the 5x was pushing you optics over their limit,
Yes, I am sure you are right Mac. 
I almost tried 2 x 2 x barlows but by then I was so freezing I could hardly move my hands and decided to call it a night.

Carole

Fay

Good idea to get a planet, what time was that Carole?  I have grandchildren staying tonight & will show them what I can
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Well Fay I was quite surprised how early I managed to see it. 

I started at around 9.30 (ish), but by the time I had tried my B&W modified webcam which I wasn't happy with, tried out some new capture software (Sharpcap, which I couldn't find the files after taking several "captures"), fiddled around with the guiding calibration and then changed the laptop to XP so I could use my webcam (no webcam drivers on Vista) and got focus it was getting on for 00.30 am.  So the actual capture was around midnight.

Carole

RobertM

Good start Carole, I think thats the first Saturn posted on the forum this year.  As Mac mentioned the x5 was pushing it but I don't think you had much choice with image scale.

Carole

Quotex5 was pushing it
I don't have a head for optical statistics so I just try things out, if they work fine. 

I'll have a go with my ETX125 on the CG5 next time, just wanted to try it out on the ED120.

Carole

MarkS

Nice one - very clear banding.

Mark