• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQMod

Started by Les R, Aug 05, 2013, 13:54:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Les R

Following on from the weekend - and problems running through the menu options of the hand controller which arent the most logical in places and the recommendation from Mark... I now have a series of questions before going further....

My new laptop (arrived Friday after we'd left) is running Windows 8. Will the OS be a problem?

Is it possible to use tha iPad to control with this method? (I realise IOS isnt listed - but is there an alternative that can work?)

With the thought of trailing cables being a pain.... is this one a decent option? (No mention of Win 8 either) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261248349147#ht_538wt_1160

The intention will be to add a guide camera and guider. Best options? I was just advised to go for something with ST4 built in.

I'm not intending on buying the guiding part until I have learnt how to control and setup with confidence... but I do want to be sure I'm not buying into something that I need to replace because of incompatability problems.

What "planetarium" software is recommended? (Anything thats in paid for apps thats not in the free ones?

The Thing

Win 8 should not be a problem. Don't worry about ST4 guide ports, use EQMOD, Laptop and either PC Direct mode on the handset or get an EQDIR type module so you don't need the handset at all. Get a gamepad and you can use that to drive the mount via EQMOD. There are about 40 EQMOD related videos on YouTube (Astronomy Shed is a good keyword) - look at them in order and you will know how it works.

Guidecamera will depend on budget, get a Lodestar, I would if I had the money. I have a QHY5 which does the job. The new versions (mono) are good, sensitive and very small! Guidescope - you can convert a finderscope (fl 190mm or therabouts) easily or buy one already done. Ideally you want a guidescope focal length relatively close (1/4ish) to that of the imaging scope. This affects the accuracy of the guiding, but also depends on the relative number of pixels per inch on the guide camera and imaging camera CCDs. An off axis guider (not for the faint hearted!) with a QHY5 guiding my Canon 1000D give me an almost exact 1:1 ratio so 1 pixel guide error is only 1 pixel error on the image. If your ratio is 1:4 then 1 pixel guiding error is 4 pixels on the image =  bigger stars, less detail.

People do use Ipad and all sorts but it's not mainstream so very little info.

Hope that's not overload :)

Duncan

Les R

Thanks Duncan... I did manage to get a reply from the guy on eBay (who is the designer of this blue tooth mod) and he has confirmed that windows 8 won't be a problem. I think I'd prefer this method rather than using a trailing USB cable. I will have a look at the videos though. Certainly the littlun like the idea of an Xbox controller!

My biggest headache on the guider is sorting something I can use on the 6SE and whatever else I buy for the HEQ5. (I am thinking on using both with the mount)... Or more to the point, how to attach it. My 6SE has nothing to clamp it to (apart from two holes 28mm apart)

Camera wise, is a QHY5 a better option than a modded web cam? Are you saying you don't need to use the mounts ST4 guide ports at all?

Carole

Les, I've used both a modded webcam and a QHY5 and the QHY5 is much much more sensitive and you will find many more suitable guide stars than a modified webcam.

Carole

The Thing

Yes, you don not need to use an ST4 port, it's old tech (20+years) and works by interrupting the motor controller by crude switching. PHD Guiding will send commands to the mount to achieve variable rate guiding and it can do a lot more besides. Your Bluetooth mount connection will only save one USB connection, as a minimum you will still need to connect guide and imaging cameras. I also have a finder camera (modded webcam) and a digital focuser - they need three USB sockets, making 6 in all for my setup. You should get a powered USB hub, everybody has one fixed to the mount as then there is only one data cable off the mount.

Use double sided foam tape or velcro pads to fis thing to the OTA. A guiderfinder scope has to be bolted to the OTA either by having threaded holes somewhere or using tube rings.

Use SkyCharts/Cartes Du Ciel (free), not pretty as some but does what you need simply and reliably. Stellarium can do it but the telescope functions are an afterthought. BTW don't forget to install ASCOM 6 FIRST (from ASCOM.ORG) as EQMOD needs it to be there.

mickw

QuoteI did manage to get a reply from the guy on eBay (who is the designer of this blue tooth mod) and he has confirmed that windows 8 won't be a problem. I think I'd prefer this method rather than using a trailing USB cable. I will have a look at the videos though. Certainly the littlun like the idea of an Xbox controller!

Cameras, guide cameras and dew heaters will all require trailing cables.

The bluetooth thing does seem handy for mount control but I think you'll find that's all it's good for
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les R

OK.... I get the gist regarding one extra USB cable wont hurt, I guess my main thoughts were in respect of potential BlueTooth useage with an iPad.

So where is the cheapest place to get a USB EQMod from?

mickw

Quote from: Les R on Aug 06, 2013, 13:43:23

So where is the cheapest place to get a USB EQMod from?

Astronomiser - also camera modding and lots of other bits n bobs
http://astronomiser.co.uk/eqdir.htm

Carole

Not sure what Astronomiser charges, but Dion (astronomy shed) does them for about £27 Les.

Carole 

mickw

Careful with Windoze 8

See astronomiser comments

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Aug 06, 2013, 14:37:20
Astronomiser - also camera modding and lots of other bits n bobs
http://astronomiser.co.uk/eqdir.htm

£5 postage is a killer! If only we had something very local to pop in and buy!

Quote from: Carole on Aug 06, 2013, 14:40:34
Not sure what Astronomiser charges, but Dion (astronomy shed) does them for about £27 Les.

Got a link for that Carole? I had a quick look and couldnt find anything.

Quote from: mickw on Aug 06, 2013, 15:19:05
Careful with Windoze 8

See astronomiser comments

Hmmm.... I will take a look. The Bluetooth guy gave assurances that things are fine with Win8!

Carole

QuoteGot a link for that Carole? I had a quick look and couldnt find anything.
Just PM him Les, he makes them up at home.

I have one of his - not that I use EQMod much and he doesn't put the box along the cable, like some of the other cables you can buy, I think he said he puts all the "works" in the plug end or something.  Don't ask me what, I'm not good with this stuff, just so long as it does the job that's good enough for me.  
:cheesy: :cheesy:

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Aug 06, 2013, 15:29:52
Just PM him Les, he makes them up at home.

Ouch! He wants £40! They are £27.95 at FLO

Mike

For imaging I would advise against using anything wireless. They have a nasty habit of dropping the connection just when you dont want it to.

For iPad/iPhone control for observing get one of these: http://www.southernstars.com/products/skyfi/

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Aug 06, 2013, 17:18:49For iPad/iPhone control for observing get one of these: http://www.southernstars.com/products/skyfi/

I like those Mike, but the price is a bit high, especially with the need to buy a laptop version as well.