• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Perseids last night...

Started by JohnP, Aug 13, 2008, 09:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Did anyone catch any last night....? I was saying good night to Sam at about 11.45  & happened to look out the loft window & saw one. Sam & I spent the next 10mins peering out the window & managed to catch 5 in all (which I think is the most meteors I have ever seen in such a short time) - Nothing spectacular, all quite short but one or two bright ones...

John

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

No just visual I'm afraid.... John

Mike

Tonight might be an opportunity to get out and get some pics of you can.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

I sat out until about 5:30 am last night, trying to image the cocoon nebula (had no idea it was so hard to get) but while I was out I was surveying the sky through my 11x80's I managed to catch one of them through the binoculars, which looked amazing but very brief.

Apart from that I managed to see quite a few by eye aswell, very impressive, would love to have seen a fireball last night though, i've only seen 4 in my life, one was incredibly impressive flying over abbey wood glowing green and visible even though it was broad dayilght, another I saw over Disneyland.

Rocket Pooch

What this one?

Also why is it allways clear when I'm in Wales?

RobertM

JohnP

Chris - Showing off again...!!!!

Daniel

Heh, that's lovely, don't suppose you have any exposure details on that image do you, and how dark was the sky at the time?

Gotta love that dark nebula surrounding it

Rocket Pooch

I'll dig it out from home when I get back, but it was LRGB  from Lydd in Kent, John was there and the location even delivered currey to the camsite...

And Robert YES ITS MINE HAHA!  I think its the best image I have done yet because its very dark and quite difficult to process.

Mike

Hey that's not a Perseid. Be careful the Forum Police will be splitting the thread before you know it ;)

Nice image Chris.

Getting back on topic........ I sat outside for a while last night as it was nice and clear to see if I could see any Perseids but didn't see one :(

Daniel

I saw a few meteors, but they weren't necesarily coming from the direction of perseus

JohnP

umm.. I saw two again in about 10mins of peering out loft window.. The first was really bright & glowed orange for a bit... just down below Ruchbah... about 10.40'ish... no images though..

John

MarkS

Chris,

That is another stunning image.  It certainly provides a benchmark to aim for.  

Once I finally nail guiding (I plan to guide at 600mm instead of 300mm) I'll have everything set up the way the way I need it to be and then I intend to push my modified 350D to it's very limits.

Bring on those clear, frosty nights!

Mark

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Aug 14, 2008, 14:56:55Bring on those clear, frosty nights!

yeah I can't wait till it is dark straight after dinner so I can go out and get a few hours imaging in before needing to get to bed at a sensible time.

RobertM

Amazing - well done Chris,  it's one of the best images I've seen of that nebula and the associated dark nebula is very difficult to.

Will have to get out a do something myself soon !