• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Filters

Started by Fay, Jan 04, 2007, 12:22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Can someone advise what Astronomik filters should I buy first.

LRGB
HA -(gas & planetary)
or
O III (planetary & emission nebula).

Is it correct that you do not have to use a separate CLS filter with Astronomik filters, as this appears to be built in?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Fay,

Chris & Mike are the experts on Narrow band imaging... If you are looking to do straighforward colour imaging with your B&W camera's then if I was you I would buy a set of Astronomik type II RGB filters - you can then use your CLS filter for the L layer & the RGB for the colour. The CLS lets through a lot of Ha anyway & provides effective lightpollution filtering. You don't have to take the RGB images through the CLS - I do just because of the way I have the filters placed in my filter holder.  The Astronomik Type II also block IR so you do not need a separate IRB filter. You can do 'false' colour imaging using Ha & OIII & S2 filters but I think it is a lot trickier... This is where I pass over to Mike or Chris...

Cheers,  John

Fay

Thanks, John. When you do LRGB, is there a rule on how long the RGB exposures should be in relation to the L?

Fay

JohnP

There probably are but I must admit I don't follow them... Aim for something like a 1/3 or a 1/4. The important bit is the L as this is what will have all the detail in - the R,G,B literally just provide colour information. If I do something like 60 mins for the L then I would aim to do say 15 or 20 mins each for the R,G,B. I try & use the same length subs though so if for example L=30X2mins then I would do say 8X2mins each for R, G & B..

Hope that makes sense - John

Mike

"When you do LRGB, is there a rule on how long the RGB exposures should be in relation to the L? "

Fay it tends to be 1/3 of the L, so in other words if you did an hour of L then you would do 20 mins of the R, G and B. Though it is really only a general guide. You can do colour imaging with just R & G and sythesise the B by combinging the R & G. This is good for saving time if you have a bad night. if you do the R, then G before doing the B, then if the clouds roll in you can still create a full colour image.

"Can someone advise what Astronomik filters should I buy first.

LRGB
HA -(gas & planetary)
or
O III (planetary & emission nebula). "

John is right there - I would get the LRGB first, then you can at least start on colour imaging. Using the CLS filter for your L layer will get rid of a lot of the noise from light pollution. Be warned though that a CLS filter lets through a LOT less light than a L filter so you would need to double or triple your exposure length. Ha next, then OIII and SII.

"Is it correct that you do not have to use a separate CLS filter with Astronomik filters, as this appears to be built in? "

No that is not true. The Astronomik filters have a built in IR blocker, but not CLS. CLS filters only let through specific wavelenghts, i.e. Ha, Hb, OIII, etc. and therefore block out the emisions from streetlights.

I can do a chat on filters at the next Imaging Session you get to (I knwo you cant make the one on Friday 12th) if you like.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Thanks for all that info, Mike. I was getting confused there, regarding CLS & IR.Yes that woulkd be a good lesson, filters.

Fay

Fay

What is the difference between using a L filter with a CLS on a camera & using a camera with just a CLS filter?

Fay

Anonymous

Fay, the L is clear glass, sometimes and IR as well and the CLS is a broadband light polution filter.