• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 - 31st Nov 2006

Started by Mike, Nov 01, 2006, 15:21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Thought i'd have a go at M42 last night. I was hoping to do it in colour but after some technical glitches it went behidn a tree before I got to do the O3.

This is a rough process - Some areas are burnt out I will have to play some more - 6 x 5 mins in Ha using the ZS66.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Pretty good - It's amazing the detail that can be imaged in Ha. Is that full frame or have you cropped - it looks like there is still a good lot of nebulosity 'off' the edges.

John

Rocket Pooch

err that looks odd, I actually did not recognise this to start with M43's ok but M42 a bit off looking, is it aligned ok?

Ian

that's going to be fantastic when it's finished mate. I think there needs to be a "who can get the biggest M42" competition.

It reminds me of a photo I saw a couple of years back done by a guy with some serious kit that showed that the whole area is like a rippled cloud of hydrogen...

found it:

Or is it that the last servicing mission for hubble will be to remove the mad Englishman last seen in Orpington that appears to be riding it like a rodeo cowboy?

Mike

Yes, I think that is a Rob Gendler image if I remember rightly. Truly amazing !

Quote from: "csuddell"err that looks odd.....

Odd in what way ? Look's OK to me.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I'm mean the image scale, it took me a while to work out what was what because the middle part of M42 was quite washed out, but I know the only way to do this subject and get all the detail is multiple exposure to graduate from the middle of M42 out.

Do you have a high res version?