• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Side by side plate

Started by mickw, Jan 28, 2008, 12:08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Where's the best place to pick up some ally plate for side by side mount ?  I know it's been mentioned but can't find the post  :oops:
What sort of dimensions ?
After 3 hours trying to beat my ETX into submission and point in the right direction for more than 5 seconds, it's time for an upgrade  :(
Thanks
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

TonyG had some. I've got some spare ally too. Will need some metalwork, but nothing too hard...

Rocket Pooch

aluminium droitwich e-bay

Tony G

Mick,
I have a few of these brackets that can be worked on if you want, they are going free so just give us a PM if you require any.
That also goes for anyone else.

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=2355.0

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Thanks Ian, Chris and Tony - your pictures have disappeared from Flikr.
Being a lazy bugger, I think I'll take advantage of Ian's offer.
Ian, I'll PM you later, there's no rush, I have quite a few decisions to make yet.
Cheers,
Mick

Rocket Pooch

My pictures are still on flickr ?  Actually if you have a look at the observatory photo's you can see the heath robinson dual scope dovetail plate which cost me less than £30.

Chris

mickw

Sorry Chris, I meant the pics on Tony's link.
The plate you put together looks a hell of a lot more rigid that the £115 job Ian King is selling.
Thanks,
Mick

Tony G

Mick,

I didn't realise that when you took an image off flickr it removed it from here, what I'll do is put a few in the back of the car, and you can have a look next time I see you.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Thanks for that Tony, no rush.

Daniel

I've just bought one of these M3 plates http://www.astrodevelopments.co.uk/

Im looking to get a guidescope, but thought I might aswell go for a decent scope i might be able to use for imaging too, so Im looking at putting a Skywatcher ED80 on there, my only worry is if this will be too heavy for my CG5 mount!

Also, does anyone know where I can buy counterweights? (preferably not crazy prices, i'm only just coming to terms with paying £100 for a drilled piece of metal)

Daniel
:O)

mickw

Tony, Ian  Just picked one up at Astrofest.
15 1/4"x3 3/4"x1/2"  £35
Thanks anyway

Ian

who from? that's a good price for astro kit...

mickw

Astro Parts on the House of Optics stand top floor, also does dovetails, rings etc. etc.  His website doesn't really show many of his products, but the bloke (Brian Brooks) says he will make anything - and he's cheap  :)
Other bargain was an HEQ5 Pro Skyscan £629 from Optical Vision also top floor.

Tony G

Hi Mick,

The plates I got are spare anyway and you may be able to use them for something, so hopefully I'll be at Mikes tonight and can have them if you want.

Tony G