• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

I know this is daft

Started by Fay, Dec 07, 2011, 21:53:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

There is something wrong with my SW finderscope. I had a problem at DSC, too much play in it  & could not move it much in any direction as screws came loose. I had a look at it tonight & it was in wonky, one side had 1/2" showing at the end & the other side about 3/4" showing.

I took it out. straightened it up, but it is loose all the way around, cannot get it right. Does anyone know, with the metal screw, should there be a spring in it? Or does it just tighten onto the scope tube surface?
Bit daft as there is not much in a finderscope.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Could be the rubber ring on the finder scope has come off it will be very lose then.

MarkS

Not exactly sure what you mean.

However, my finderscope has two black plastic screws and one spring loaded metal "knob".  In my case, the metal knob is not a screw but the spring (contained inside it) is essential for pushing the finderscope against the two plastic screws.

My knob came undone once (it screws apart) and I nearly lost the spring.

I hope this helps you.

Mark

Fay

i reckon i have lost the spring

Mac

i reckon you have lost the plot  :cheesy:  ;)

Mac

Carole

I heard of some-one with the same problem Fay and in his case he had lost the spring.

Carole

Fay

well Julian has just rung & said there is a spring. So i must have lost it recently & not realised. Julian suggested a spring from a pen to replace it

Fay

John has sorted it now. The spring was in there, but was not springing.

The outer casing, for whatever reason,  was not over the rubber ring & so the springy button was not sitting in its groove, so the actual scope was really loose
, & would not go wherever i wanted it to.

Spent about 2 hours trying to sort it last night & wasted a perfect evening sky!!!!!!.
I had set the EQ5 up, on the other side of the garden, with the 120 & a piggyyback setup with the WO on top. Could not get the scope, with its narrow field, to go to its subject, as finder scope wrong, could not figure out what the problem was, also I polar aligned it & when I looked it had jumped out of position, polaris was well off the circle. Possibly the weight of its load. 

Don't you just love this hobby!!!!! :evil: