• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ED80 flattener test done

Started by Rocket Pooch, Dec 20, 2009, 20:37:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

ok blow up 200% tonight with the flattener

origional image without

full frame with flattener

MarkS

Chris,

That's looking very good.

Here are the tests I did with the WO Mk2 0.8x flattener - with the spiky stars in the corners:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5105

Wonder if it's too late to ask Santa Claus for the Skywatcher flattener?

Mark

RobertM

Not perfect but for what is a relatively inexpensive chunk of glass it does an amazing job on a near APS chip.  It's certain to become one of the must have accessories for the ED80...  I wonder how it would work on some of the WO scopes?

Robert

Fay

I thought that this 0.85 FR only fits the new DSPRO Black Diamond scopes & the fitting on the gold Skywatcher pro ED80 is not suitable?

(had the colour wrong)
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I think a) when I focus better and b) when I use the OAG it will probably improve the image, but I tell you what if you bought one of these and a second hand ED80 £300 would give you a hell of a setup.  Just need to run it through CCD Calc to see how flat the image is, without it was 35% curved.

And this was the top left corner at 200% at 100% the star look pretty tight.  Needless to say I'm happy I get to keep my ED80 :-)

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Dec 21, 2009, 09:25:58
I thought that this 0.85 FR only fits the new DSPRO Black Diamond scopes & the fitting on the white Skywatcher pro ED80 is not suitable?

Hi Fay,

These are the same just black with a 1/10 reducer on the focuser, the equinox is the one it does not work with.

Chris

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
... when I use the OAG it will probably improve the image

Does your camera have the integrated guiding port?
Presumably you have to attach a guide camera to this?

I'm very interested in how you get on.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I did not get the one with the guide port because the back focus goes up quite a lot, but I'm going to get the TS OAG, this is 9mm long leaving a 10mm spacer required for any t-mount devices, MPCC, SW .85 etc.

Chris

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!