• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

November DSC

Started by MarkS, Oct 22, 2010, 10:20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Cloud breaking up - already down to 9C

PhilB

Cloud is closing in here, 7.1C no wind, lots of bright flashes....
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rick

Nice view of ISS going over just now, but nobody on the radio...

PhilB

Someone's sending up what I think are Chinese Lanterns here. Two of 'em, bright orange. Nice against a cloudy sky - up side: temperature has risen to 7.3C
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

QuoteSomeone's sending up what I think are Chinese Lanterns here

Probably Mr G. ;)

MarkS

Saw ISS visually and took photos of Newenden fireworks. Only few gaps in cloud.

MarkS

Beautiful clear sky (for now) - imaging at last ...

MarkS

French sh*t is cloudy so it must be cold. Can't believe no-one came - I miss you guys ...

Fay

Mark, I will be in tears soon.................... don't cry into your French sh.t, we miss you too..............boo hoo
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Quote from: Mac on Nov 06, 2010, 18:21:18
QuoteSomeone's sending up what I think are Chinese Lanterns here

Probably Mr G. ;)

Well, if Mark manages to get one of my chinese lanterns in one of his images I be very honoured, as I'll be in the hall of fame along with the ISS, Moons of Jupiter etc. ;)

Tony G

PS..............I didn't let any off tonight, as I'm saving them, and the fireworks for December's DSC. :twisted:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 06, 2010, 20:51:48
French sh*t is cloudy so it must be cold. Can't believe no-one came - I miss you guys ...

We're with you in spirit Mark. Keep drinking that french sh*t and you won't care.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Now back.

Here's a very quick report:
The conditions last night were completely still and it dropped to -1C. Mist kept coming up from the river valley - just like the October DSC - so after the first 40 minutes of imaging things deteriorated and never really recovered.   There were longish gaps in the clouds but they were accompanied by milky skies - at least when the local mist had moved away.  Everything was absolutely soaked (just like last time) until it all froze.  Even had ice on inside of tent.  I finally gave up at 2am. 

Overall, the ground is quite muddy - similar conditions to Tuesnoad, I would say (except Rother Valley has a much better entrance) - my car was sliding on the grass just like it used to at Tuesnoad.  Walking around there were patches of "spongy" grass and patches of harder grass.  The area around my tent and the area around my scope very quickly became quite boggy due to walking around - large lumps of mud congealed on my boots.  I reckon December will be worse (unless it's frozen "permafrost").

Mark

Mike

Were you in the normal spot?

Maybe pitching right next to the road would help.

If the ground is frozen it won't be an issue.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

You did well Mark, good job Mick did not take the van there.

I was outside for a while, last night & conditions were similar, Still drying out equipment, & was only out there a round an hour or two.

I did have visions of you in that dark field, on your own with that french drink, Good job you are not a nervous person!! 

Fay

Jackie did say we could park just outside the field in the gravel bit, as the caravans would be gone, there would be no lights on there either. The tents could then be put up on the left as you go in. ALthough Mick said about the house on the left, may have lights on.