• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory Design

Started by MarkS, Dec 07, 2010, 05:50:31

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I'm thinking through ideas for a possible observatory.

I don't want a dome because it might attract unwanted attention, so I want to disguise the observatory as some kind of shed. In operating mode, ideally I want to see right down to the horizon in the S and down to the horizon in all directions round to the NW and NE.  The north is allowed to be slightly obstructed.

I wondered about something along following lines:
The top half of the side panels (E&W) together with the roof slide back as one unit towards the north.  The North wall (housing the door remains fixed.  The South wall folds down to half height after retraction.

The main problem I see would be ensuring the whole construction has sufficent rigidity.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Mark

mickw

Moving two wall sections with the roof would be no less stable than moving one.

If following the design of Robert's, the guide rails for the roll off could be at the height of hand rails which would not look abnormal or attract attention.

The only issue would be the view to the north - a flat (sloped) roof would give more clearance

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Dont forget that for an equatorial the telescope is at it's highest point when pointing East or West so the sides may not need to be as low as you think.  You could of course have the whole structure on rails but given sufficient bracing and a light enough roof anything in between would be possible.  there are plenty of examples on the web of observatories with very large rolloff rooves (10' x 12').

Robert

Mac

Your looking for a shed type of camouflage.

How about somethin along these lines, rather then a RORO shed roof.
Its small, but sort of what you are looking along.

http://my-roll-off-telescope-shed.moonfruit.com/#/open-door/4520353604

Failing that there are loads of ideas on google,

heres an interesting concept.
As well as the roof sliding how about the wall as well.

http://www.alexandersobservatories.com/

RobertM

The bottom one is what mine looks like (other than being green and rolling to the other side).

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Moving two wall sections with the roof would be no less stable than moving one.

On the contrary - there's a risk that without extra bracing, the walls/roof unit could collapse it itself - pancaking.  But extra bracing might collide with the scope ...

I quite like the idea of a complete shed that rolls away to the North - it might end up being the simplest solution.  Trouble is, North is uphill!

Mark

Carole

QuoteTrouble is, North is uphill!
Does this mean you already have a house in mind?

MarkS

Quote from: Carole

Potentially, yes, just a couple of miles walk from my all-time favourite imaging place of Tuesnoad.

But this is early days and in the arena of house-moves, nothing is ever certain ...

Mark

mickw

QuoteOn the contrary - there's a risk that without extra bracing, the walls/roof unit could collapse it itself - pancaking.  But extra bracing might collide with the scope ...

I had assumed the "other wall" would be braced also.

The bracing should only hit the telescope if it is leaning against the wall

Ian

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 07, 2010, 21:36:28
Quote from: Carole

Potentially, yes, just a couple of miles walk from my all-time favourite imaging place of Tuesnoad.

But this is early days and in the arena of house-moves, nothing is ever certain ...

Mark
will there be mud???

MarkS

Quote from: Ian
will there be mud???

Hopefully not!

Ian

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 08, 2010, 06:18:58
will there be mud???

Hopefully not!
will there be explosives???

Carole

More importantly, will there be room for a small DSC group?

mickw

At £20 a head, I'd reckon yes  ;)

The Thing

will there be mud???
will there be sheep?

Whitters

You could consider one of the pneumatic piers.
Or only build the observatory as tall as you need. This does mean you end up bending over inside the dome. But it does not give too many problems.

MarkS

Quote from: Whitters
You could consider one of the pneumatic piers.

I just wonder how well an adjustable height pier would keep its alignment?

The more I think about this, the more attractive a roll-away shed becomes.  It would be very cheap because I can DIY modify a common or garden(!) shed.  It would automatically provide both a warm room and unobstructed space around the scopes.  Wind shielding (when necessary) could easily be effected with panels that slot into the ground next to the scopes.

Mark

PhilB

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 29, 2010, 09:05:48
Wind shielding (when necessary) could easily be effected with panels that slot into the ground next to the scopes.

Why not just place permanent fencing on one or two or even three sides. The shed can then be rolled away from this giving the 'scopes access to the sky and wind protection at the same time.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

Quote from: PhilB
Why not just place permanent fencing on one or two or even three sides. The shed can then be rolled away from this giving the 'scopes access to the sky and wind protection at the same time.

Permanent fencing would restrict how low down near the horizon I can image.

Mark

RobertM

Check out the construction of a wooden garden shed ... they contain the barest of materials to make a 'stable' structure, that is, when it's all nailed together.  That was one of the main issues I had when contemplating converting one.  If you have time then I consider it would be better to buy some 4x2 and cladding for a diy jobbie.

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Check out the construction of a wooden garden shed ... they contain the barest of materials to make a 'stable' structure, that is, when it's all nailed together.  That was one of the main issues I had when contemplating converting one. 

Good point - I'll bear it in mind.

Mark