• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

WIP - NGC2264, Cone Nebula, Christmas Tree Cluster, others - OSC data only

Started by Roberto, Mar 20, 2023, 21:19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

I was planning to image this region in SHO whilst acquiring RGB data with the tandem Stowaway.  I only managed to capture 4 complete hours of H and OIII - not enough for processing - and a bit more of RGB.  As the target moves away from the accessible portion of my sky's horizon, I decided to process the colour only part.
Having done this region twice - back in 2015 and 2017 - the wider field is definitely worth adding more data to in the future.
There are quite a few gradients and plenty of noise reduction (!) given the short total exposure.

Details of the exposure here:  https://www.astrobin.com/qc26vo/B/

Dates:  25 Feb 2023 ·  26 Feb 2023 ·  18 Mar 2023
Frames: OSC - 56×300″(4h 40′) bin 1×1
Integration: 4h 40′
Avg. Moon age: 12.69 days
Avg. Moon phase: 29.20%

Roberto

Carole

Looking good so far Roberto.  Guess it will be next winter before you can finish it. 

Carole

Roberto

Indeed Carole. One for later this year at least.
Thank you

Roberto

Ivor

Very nice. I have some RGB data of this and struggled to pull this amount of detail out, did you find working on a starless luminance the best approach?

Roberto

Thank you Ivor. I was surprised by how much blue showed in only 4.6 hrs. And yes, I do an initial stretch with Masked stretching followed by ArcSinh stretch in PixInsight and then separate and work on the starless image to increase colour and contrast. For luminance, which the above doesn't have as a separate channel, I stretch separately.

Roberto

The Thing

Looking very good Roberto.

Roughly the same FoV as my efforts a month or so ago. I've been using the GSH stretch process which is very flexible. I find I can target different areas of the histogram with it in a very controlled manner though I tend to get carried away and bring up the dim stuff too much. The ArcSinH stretch is excellent for bringing out colour which probably explains the blue reveal.

Roberto

Thank you! Yes, GHS is my stretching tool for L. Only use it for saturation in RGB so far.

Roberto

JohnH

Fantastic!

I notice that the Moon was nearly 30%. May I ask everyone, what is your maximum Moon for LRGB and narrowband? I have a bad habit, which I am trying to shed, of "if I can see it I will image it". For some reason I seem to only get set up near the full moon.

John H
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

QuoteMay I ask everyone, what is your maximum Moon for LRGB and narrowband?
I dont do broadband except when at camp and then we go near a new Moon.  For narrowband I image at any time so long as the Moon is not too close to the target, or unless the target is particularly dim. 

Carole

Roberto

Quote from: JohnH on Mar 22, 2023, 11:34:30Fantastic!

I notice that the Moon was nearly 30%. May I ask everyone, what is your maximum Moon for LRGB and narrowband? I have a bad habit, which I am trying to shed, of "if I can see it I will image it". For some reason I seem to only get set up near the full moon.

John H

John

I try not image during full Moon unless the target can be shot in NB or when still bright, at least 90 degrees away when in RGB.

Roberto

The Thing

I use my Optolong lEnhance filter close to Full moon as long as I can find a target with the right emission wavelengths not too close as it's a fairly broad 'narrowband' filter for OSC.

Been having another look at your image Roberto, it's rather good. Love the dust.

MarkS

garrick