• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mick Welham - Very Sad News

Started by Tony G, Feb 07, 2015, 10:31:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

I have been asked to let members know that Mick Welham, a well respected and long active member on this forum, and the society, passed away last weekend.
I have contacted his family, and are waiting to find out what arrangements are being made.
He had just got over a hip operation and was doing very well, and was very eager to get back into astronomy, with even plans for a new observatory in the garden.
He will be sorely missed by a good few of the members on here so please keep him in your thoughts.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

That is sad news Tony. Especially as he seemed to be sorting himself out and getting back on the mend. He was too young to be going so soon.

R.I.P. Mick
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

I am very sad to hear the news about Mick.  He was a character and will be missed.  Thanks for letting us know Tony.

Rick

Very sorry to hear that. :(

R.I.P. Mick

Carole

That is awful news.

Thank you for letting us know Tony. 

He certainly will be missed.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Well what can I say?  Tony and I have been seeing Mick at his house a bit over the last few years where we have seen his health specifically his hip cause his a lot of pain and issues.  We thought he had seen out the worse of it and last time I spoke to Mick last Monday he was really looking forward to getting out and about more and more.  He was back driving and also was looking forward to Tony and I (me in the smallest of ways) coming over to paint his house for him.  Like that was going to happen.

Last year we had a lovely xMas with Mick, in January which just about sums him up he had made that horrible Cider and Perry stuff for Tony and some beer for me.  This is despite not being able to move around at all well.  In return we bought him a Ferrari walking stick which he did not use because he was a stubborn old goat.  So we got him another one the following year, and he made the same stuff again.

Mick was a lovely man and one of the original UDCS'rs and is someone I would consider a close friend.  Always at hand at a DSC with beer; nearly, but not quite getting the hang of his kit and then inevitably giving up and getting the beers in. 

Most though Mick got the larger camper van because he needed more space, in fact he did not it was just we were nicking more beer off him and he needed more capacity in the van.  As for DSC's for those who were there, he presented us with the sight of a fully Pimped 12" ex OAS Newtonian complete with laser, furry dice and under mirror lighting.  A sight to behold for those who saw it in its full resplendant naffness.  Typical Mick humour.

Mick was always there to help by lending people stuff.  For example a welder to me rebuild the Landrover, everything seemed so new.  I think this was because Mick just loved buying kit and toys.  He knew a lot about engineering, electronics and also fitting kitchens.  He was a fan of Sandra Bullock, and Stella beer, not in any specific order, just one always led onto the conversation of the other.  Have I already said he also had/has the most amazing collection of tools.

When Mick moved out to kent we started to visit him overnight.  I will never forget when he told Tony and me, we were the first people who ever stayed around his house, as in ever in his life and checked to see if his company was ok and that he had sone everything right.  Obviously it was, and in the true theme of what Mick was about we took the pi55 out of him.  Partly because it was funny, but mainly because he had been very free with the beer and cider.

Mick was quite reclusive but always there for you if you knew him well enough.  Last time I saw mick, over beer a curry we spent the morning welding Tony's chair leg.  We had a chat and he said he wished he had got out of London a lot earlier and done more.  He was going to get a smaller camper van, treat the cat better and get back to the club.

His hip operation went well, although he consistently complained about wearing tights to stop blood clots. 

Mick will be missed, Mick I'll have a Stella for you tomorrow.

P.S. I hope you were not wearing those tights when you went.  If you did in your words Doh!

Sue

So sorry to hear about Mick.He made a good job of observing officer, doing presentations at the meetings, and a stalwart of the DSCs. He was a great character.

Tony G

Chris well said, and I couldn't have put it better.
I will miss the weekend trips, and the homemade cider, which I told Mick on many, many occasions that it honestly was the best cider I had drank, which it was.

And so as many have said he will be missed. R.I.P. Mr Welham.

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Mick was a one off!! always made me laugh, but was a bit shy as well. he moaned about the cat, but I think he really cared about it really and gave him a good haircut in the summer.

Spent a great couple of nights there, in a foggy haze, having a laugh with friends, and I think it really cheered him up. had lots of Skypes, and got him onto Facebook last week, so it was easy for him to keep up with what his friends were doing, that was 30th, so whatever happened , it was within the next couple of days.

he was doing so well with the new hip, and said he could drive ok again, the operation could not have gone better.

He had made many plans on how to survive  indoors and get through in the early days after his op. so many laps around the house = a mile, when he could exercise his leg and hip.

he did look frailer as the months went on, after the move, perhaps, it was all a bit too much for him, what with his heart operation, and he still enjoyed a regular drink and smoke, which was not too good. I told him to keep a phone handy at all times, just in case he could get in touch when he needed to, being that he was on his own. He decided to keep one in each room and one on the floor, in case he fell over & could not get up,  as well as one on his person.

He was looking forward to setting up his obsy and having everyone down for a good astro weekend with refreshment!

Thinking of you Mick. Robert, Duncan and myself raised a glass to you today!

To an entertaining, kind, friend, who will always be missed.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Mick, thank you for your generosity, thank you for your humour and thank you for all the help and advice. I never got to sample your produce but still have a bottle of Vintage 'Marten Farm Damson and Elderberry' circa Jan 2014. I will crack this and raise one to you...

You're going to be missed. RIP Mick.

doug

I think that Chris, Tony, Fay and everybody have said a fitting tribute to Mick and I couldn`t have put it better myself. So I will raise a glass to a great guy who will be sorely missed. He emailed me about his hip operation and how he was getting on well very recently and it`s a terrible shock to hear this sad news.

I hope you make St Peter some of your renowned cider, Mick .......

Doug and Rose.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkS

Just back from holiday and this was very sad news to receive.  I really thought Mick was at last turning a corner and would be able to become far more active.  Alas, it was not to be.  Mick was a very generous person with a great character  and wicked sense of humour who will be very missed.

Mark

RobertM

I can't really add any more to what's been said other than that he was always generous, selfless and keen to help with anything.  Plus he ALWAYS had a spare beer (ok Stella) !

A very sad and sudden loss, it just brings it home how quickly health can change.

RIP Mick Welham, we will remember you, especially so at DSC's

Robert

julian

Such a shock to hear of the sad news.    I'll always remember Mick's great sense of humour and one conversation in particular when we were discussing campervans.  I had asked him why he had bought a new campervan (when his original one was in good condition) and in true Mick style he replied "because the ashtray was full up!"     As previously mentioned, Mick did like his toys - whereas most people would have one radio controlled helicopter - Mick had 3 large helicopters!   His sense of humour, generosity and just being himself will be missed by us all.   RIP Mick.

Julian and Lorraine

Hugh

I was shocked to hear the news when circulated on email by Miriam.  I clearly didn't know Mick as well as many of you here (and thanks for bringing his character to the fore) but we always had a word or two at meetings about something and he always seemed positive to me and good for a laugh!  He was a good Committee member and also had the guts to step up as observing officer when needed.  God bless Mick. 

Hugh