• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33

Started by Whitters, Oct 07, 2007, 20:10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Six 10 minute subs, WO 110 f6.5, Starlight X-Press MX916. Astronomik IR block.
Processing Curves and unsharp Mask

JohnP

Nice Paul,

Faint spiral structure is really starting to show through... looks like you may have pushed a little too hard in processing as white's looked clipped... Great shot though & good to see you imaging again...

John

Oscar the Cat

Hi John,
I was trying to show the centre of the galaxy, so I have brought the white level down, clipping some of hte stars. I need to learn how to enhance the faint outer without burning out hte centre. Any suggestions?
Paul

Mike

Nice one Paul. I would agree with John though that you have gone OTT with the unsharp mask. You have the original FITS files so you can always redo. If you are subtle with the unsharp mask or don't do it at all then it should be better.

I find that producing a curve shaped like a steep sided hill with a flat top produces the desired result re: bringoput out detail but not burning the core. However, I am sure John will giev you better advise about that as hsi recent processing of M33 was spot on.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Paul,

stack it normally, then do sigmoid scalling in AIP, its in the brightness scaling, the stars will stay but you can bring out the backgroud, thats how I did my M13.

Chris

Oscar the Cat

Thanks folks, I'll have a go