• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First half decent image...

Started by RobertM, Sep 21, 2007, 22:27:35

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well you have to start somewhere !  After a taking a number of images on M57, M27 and M15 on the 12th and trying to process them with little success, I think this is just about acceptable.  Everyone's posted such impressive images that I wasn't sure whether I could get one that was good enough.  I have LRGB's of this and the others to but can't get anything but red stars in the final image !!!

Any criticism (preferably constructive) or pointers greatly appreciated.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

looks good to me, what was the camera and number of frames etc?

Chris

RobertM

JohnP

Robert - looks like a fine image to me don't think there is anything to criticise...... If that's one of your first images I say your off to a flying start... & I look forward to many more...

Any chance you could introduce yourself & let us know what kit etc. you image with - apologies if you have already done this but I couldn't find the message...

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

ok just to check, you did not have the Ha on with the RGB did you?

RobertM

No it was definitely LRGB though I could have got the filters mixed up in the dark, unlikely though.  I think the star images in red are larger, making everything appear un-naturally red.  Each of the LRGB components look ok visually, will check the star diameters later with Maxim just to prove that one way or the other.

RobertM

Think I sorted out the LRGB and it's not red any more so I've posted it, donuts and all.  I'm not sure that LRGB means there's supposed to be much colour after all LRGB = white but there are more stars showing.

Rick

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved the one you labelled "final" out of your previews gallery into the main gallery. Image and image-page links remain the same, of course.

RobertM

If you think it's good enough then that's fine by me.

RobertM

I've recalibrated as I found out that I put the filters in the wrong slots in the wheel it was LGBR rather than LRGB.  The new image has replaced the incorrect one in the gallery.

Rocket Pooch

Well done, but increase the blue a little I think M13 is more blue from memory.

Also I did a LHaCLSR once when I changes the filter wheel in the dark, thats was a complete mess!

Chris

RobertM

Thanks Chris.

I think you've put your finger on the next step - how to get the correct colour balance.  By eye is more than a bit hit and miss so I must find out the experts do it sometime.