• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 and Running Man 15th and 19th December (re-processed)

Started by Carole, Dec 19, 2011, 22:40:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

The reprocess is further down June 2012
This is the original post (should I have started a new thread and linked to this one??)

I managed to get out late last night (thanks to Fay's timely post) and got some more data for M42.

This is such a difficult object to process even aside from having to layer and mask it.  

Anyway:
Modified Canon 450D CLs filter, captured in APT
15-12-11 8 x 5mins and 10 x 30secs 800 ISO
19-12-11 18 x 5mins 800 ISO
Skywatcher Evostar ED80 Pro
Guided with ST 80, PHD (dithering in APT)
DSS and PS CS3

MarkS

That's looking very good Carole and very nicely processed.

I'm surprised at how well the Running Man has come out, given your light polluted location.

Well done!

Mark

RobertM

That looks very good Carole especially from where you are in Bromley.  There's a bit of a problem around the trapezium area but this subject has so much dynamic range it's difficult for anyone to control.  Maybe even 30s subs are too long for that part.

Any chance you could post the full res image ?

Robert

Carole

Thanks Mark and Robert.

QuoteAny chance you could post the full res image ?

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/M42_15th_and_18th_December_2011_26_x_5mins_composite_4_web_size.jpg
Carole

(Edit: Please link to huge images! Thanks. -- Rick)

Fay

Very nice Carole. I got sick of this subject because it was so difficult to process.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Thanks Carole, even the full res look very good indeed.

Carole

Thanks Fay and Robert.

QuoteI got sick of this subject because it was so difficult to process.
I'm glad I'm not alone then.

I want to have a crack at it with more subs and in a dark site at some point though.  Must be a masochist. :cheesy:

Carole

JohnP

Very good for 'Bromley' imaging.. a 'tad' too red overall though for me.

John

Carole

Thanks John,
Quotea 'tad' too red overall though for me.
Yes I think you're right John, however at the time I processed it I wasn't sure whether it was the surrounding dusty region that was causing it but not quite showing up.  However a few people have made the same comment.

There seems to be something weird going on with my ISP this morning, can't download E mail or open E Mail on my server, nor update my website, so as soon as that's up and running I'll post an amended version.

Carole

Carole

I have been fiddling around trying to improve processing of various images (as one does, especially while the weather is bad).

Hope this is better:
I haven't changed the image in the gallery, but will do so if you want to see the larger version of the latest process.

RobertM

Hi Carole,

You seem to have got rid of the colour cast but introduced a whole heap of noise which wasn't there before.

Robert

Carole

It looks a whole lot worse as a posted Jpeg than it did as a tiff file.  I think the noise was there all the time just didn't stretch it so much last time, so it didn't show in the original process but you're right, that aspect does a look worse.

Carole

MarkS

It's a good re-process - the colour looks just right now and you've brought out a lot of detail in the dusty bits.   I think the noise was hiding there in the dusty bits and wasn't so obvious before - it's the extra stretching that has brought it out.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how much you decide to stretch - it's a matter of personal choice and it might even be possible to reduce the noise somewhat.

Overall, a worthwhile re-process.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark,
I have since gone back and separated the back ground from the nebulae and improved that somewhat from the noise point of view, I'll try to remember to post that tomorrow.

Carole

Fay

I think it is a good reprocess, I cant see the noise on my screen, but then I am off to the optician tomorrow!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!