• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Back-yard astronomer captures stunning images of distant stars

Started by MarkS, Jan 19, 2012, 17:23:20

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

" ... a determined amateur astronomer, mathematician Mark Shelley, has captured stunning views of the stars, using very long exposures to 'soak up' as much light as possible as his motorised telescope tracks across the sky."

Buy tomorrow's Daily Mail or read it online here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2088923/Back-garden-astronomer-uses-second-hand-telescope-lot-patience-capture-stunning-images-stars.html

A few inaccuracies in the article but otherwise it's come out OK ;-)

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Well done!

Kylee on TV, you in the Daily Mail, I'm going to try to get into a Playboy shoot.

mickw

OK,
Some questions.........

Any particular reasons why it took nearly a year to go to print ?

But more importantly,  

Did you hold a gun to the head of the reporter or were you invited to write your own article ?

Best article I've read in the mainstream press, well done Mark

Are my eyes going wonky or is that HH not Sidcup ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Very nice indeed,

although i thought they should have included your Jupiter animation on the website.

Mac.

Carole

Good write up Mark and well deserved.  You have a very large house in Sidcup  :cheesy:

How did this come about Mark?
Good timing with the Star Gazing Live programme, probably why they chose to print it this week.

Carole

The Thing

Great article Mark, no mention of the OAS though, bet that was the editors. And they didn't say you were a backgarden astrologer. The reporter must have been a bit cleverer than Kylee's BBC bod.

Quote from: Kylee on Jan 18, 2012, 22:51:52
She did originally say I was an Astrologer and joined an Astrological Society....I emailed her as soon as I saw it and corrected it. How very dare she!!!!!!

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
How did this come about Mark?

A journalist from a media company came across my website http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/ and contacted me shortly before Christmas to write a story.  It was then made available as an article to the national press - obviously to make the most of the general interest raised by Stargazing Live.  Clearly the Daily Mail picked it up.

Mick, the Horsehead in the main article was taken in Sidcup with the C11 (as were the Bubble Nebula, Mars and the ISS) but they didn't go into that level of detail. The other images are all taken with the Tak from High Halden.  They didn't want pics taken at DSC or elsewhere because it didn't fit the "backyard astronomer" story angle.

I did plug the OAS but it clearly didn't make the final article :-(

Mark

Tony G

Great article Mark. ;)
Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Jan 19, 2012, 17:31:27
Well done!

Kylee on TV, you in the Daily Mail, I'm going to try to get into a Playboy shoot.

I may go on a killing spree with a placard around my neck with 'I Luv the OAS'
Let's see if if we don't get the OAS in the papers, or on the telly.  :twisted:

Tony G

PS..........just in case someone takes this the wrong way, and decides to contact the authorities, saying there is a possible lunatic ready to cause mayhem.....I'M ONLY JOKING. :roll:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Excellent Mark - Well done & images look great. Out of interest is that picture of you in front of the house your new house or old house.... It looks like its the countryside not the middle of Sidcup...?

Nice one - John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Out of interest is that picture of you in front of the house your new house or old house.... It looks like its the countryside not the middle of Sidcup...?

It's at the new house - they incorrectly captioned the picture!
The other inaccuracy is that the Tak, though secondhand, is not the scope Dee bought for Christmas in 2006 - I've had the Tak only 2 years.

Mark

Mike

Great stuff Mark. It's always good to see amateur astronomy promoted.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

It hasn't actually appeared in today's printed edition (Friday) - still only online.

Vera

You are also in the Telegraph online today Mark.

Sorry, but I do not know how to include a link, but if you look at www.telegraph.co.uk/science/picture-galleries you'll find 16 pictures in all with a heading of "Beautiful space images captured by back garden astronomer Mark Shelley".

Good luck with your interview today.

Vera

Vera

doug

Congratulations, Mark.  That is brilliant.  It`s really good when first class amateurs..... especially from the OAS..... get their images published in various media.  And yours are always excellent.  I reckon that you should have your images in the Planetarium along with those others who had theirs on the wall.

Anyway, very well done.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkS

Ian

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 20, 2012, 10:05:36
Thanks Vera - I didn't know about the Telegraph.

They probably hacked your phone mate...