• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Seeing Nebulae with Binoculars

Started by wattsy, Mar 10, 2004, 01:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

wattsy

I've just bought myself some 7x50 binoculars and am astonished at the number of stars visible. Is it possible to see nebulaes such as orions with a stronger binocular such as the (Canon 15x50 Image stabilizers) and what do you think of these binocs, is it worth upgrading my 7x50's).
Could someone list a few objects which I can view through my 7x50's which cannot be seen through the naked eye.

Rick

You'll see the more extended nebulae and galaxies (Andromeda, Orion, etc.) quite well with 7x50s provided you can hold them steady enough...

Sue

Using a stable mount for the binoculars will improve the details you can see tremendously. I use a sturdy camera tripod for my Helios 15x70s but before I bought those saw much through 8x42s on the same mount. Sir Patrick has published a book on astronomy with binoculars - not sure of the exact title - which you may find of interest. Recently I have used charts in the Philip's Atlas of the Universe, Patrick Moore (£1 from the 'soft back preview' book club!). Clear charts for each constellation and indication of which clusters/nebulae/galaxies are binocular objects.

[ This Message was edited by: Sue on 2004-03-12 13:24 ]

Mike

Don't talk to me about binoculars....
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mike

Thy are fine(ish) now ! But what a farce to get them !! If I known it would be like that I would have paid the UK extra price and be done with it !!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mike

The prism had shifted out of position. There was a metal band that had come loose (vibration in the aircraft hold?!?!) - anyway, the base of the prism is shaped especially toaccomodate it in the correct position so it was just a case of moving it back and tightening the band.

The eyepieces are slightly loose which is not good.

All I need now is a hefty tripod to use them with as they are very heavy. The photographic tripod I have is fine for cameras but wont take the weight of the binos.

I will bring them along to the obs session next week, even if it is cloudy.