• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Sun

Started by Kenny, Mar 01, 2015, 19:30:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Two images of the Sun from today, separately captured from the mosaics work. Coronado Solarmax 60 solar telescope of HEQ5 mount. Celestron NexImage Solar System Imaging CCD camera with x2 Barlow lens. 60 second AVI in grayscale captured in SharpCap2. Stacked in AutoStakkert2. Sharpened with Wavelets in Registax. Cropped and recoloured in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Solar swirling
A very large swirling mass on the face of the Sun.

Solar flare (?) and small prominences
It looks to me like there is a 'flare' on the face of the Sun at 2'oclock in the image. It was clearer in the camera and had a 3D effect. There are also very small prominences on the edge - there weren't many on the Sun when I was imaging.

MarkS

Excellent - they have come out quite nicely with quite a bit of detail!

Also, the colouring has a very natural look to it.

Mark

MarkH

They're very good Kenny.

Carole

Excellent work Kenny.

Carole

Fay

Really good Kenny!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Kenny

Thanks all. I'm please the quality of these is improving but am definitely stretching the capabilities of the equipment I have access to.

The Thing

Quote from: Kenny on Mar 02, 2015, 13:20:24
Thanks all. I'm please the quality of these is improving but am definitely stretching the capabilities of the equipment I have access to.

I'm very impressed Kenny, loads of detail and interest.

One thing I've found is you can just keep stretching out those capabilities. Often a little DIY tweaking is required, for instance adjusting the worm gear clearance and a bit of correct lubrication can make the HEQ5 much smoother which leads to shaper images with only a little time and a tube of lithium bike grease spent. Search for Astro-Baby's site and no it won't get you into trouble with the missus!