• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Markarians Chain of Galaxies (part of)

Started by RobertM, May 01, 2009, 21:25:39

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This is an image of part of the famous chain of galaxies in the constellation of Virgo (my favourite constellation but then it would be !) and part of the Virgo Galaxy Cluster.  It is also interestingly located in the center of our local SuperCluster.

The dominant two galaxies in this group are the giant eliptical galaxies M84 and M86, none of the others have Messier designations.  The other well known paring is of NGC4438 and NGC4435, also known as The Eyes.

19 * 10 mins sub exposures of luminance through a Sky90 refractor @f4.5 but it needs many more subs !

MarkS

Robert,

That's looking very good.  It's very deep and nicely processed.  There's an unbelievable number of galaxies in that image!  I think it's the best I've seen of Makarian's Chain.

Mark

RobertM

Thanks Mark, Still not a patch on your M51 but here's a slightly less anaemic LLRGB version.  I Hugely underestimated the quality of RGB data that was required but needed more time, I'm very pleased with the result none the less.

Daniel

Wow, awesome stuff, so many galaxys and so much detail

Great stuff

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

Very nice indeed Robert - You have captured a lot of detail in the galaxies which is excellent. You'll have to do a galaxy count sometime I am sure this will take the OAS record for the most number of galaxies in an image...

John

Fay

Lovely image, Robert, you do it so well!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Mike

What's that weird thing that looks like a prawn at top center?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

That's IC3355 (Mag 15.2), hadn't noticed before it does rather look like a prawn.