• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horse Head Ha

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 22, 2009, 20:40:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

With Atik 314L ZS66 & F.67 reducer, imaging at 260mm approx F4, the field in not flat hence the coma.

JohnP

Nice FOV & you got the background curtain very well..

Looks more noisey than I expected (not used to seeing you publish noisey images... :-) ) What was total integration - I know you had to cut this short which is a shame...

John

Rocket Pooch

Yes it was 5x10 minutes could really have done with 12-16 subs, never mind, maybe next week?

Fay

That is extremely nice Chris, well in focus, lovely curtains
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

only 50mins - explains it - great result on a very dim object..

MarkS

The curtaining and especially the tendrils are coming out well and there is plenty of other detail appearing - what a pain that you didn't get all the subs you wanted to get the noise down.

Mark

RobertM

Another excellent capture and what a FOV!   I know John mentioned noise but it looks quite subdued in the faint areas to me and not entirely surprising for only 50 minutes.  Like the focus and the pinpoint stars, what technique do you use to achieve that ?

From the images I've seen the sky must have been pretty good on Saturday.

Mike

Very nice Chris. But why is it the wrong way around?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

The focus was done using Focus in AstroArt it gave FWHM of 1.2 x 1.4 approx for one of the stars in the FOV, very stable skies.

Mike, is it backwards, I never really look?

Chris

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
The focus was done using Focus in AstroArt it gave FWHM of 1.2 x 1.4 approx for one of the stars in the FOV, very stable skies.

Is that 1.2 x 1.4 pixels, arcseconds or what?  I'll check my M81 image to estimate my own FWHM.

Mark

JohnP

Yes - image is normally presented with flame to left - then again strictly speaking it needs to be rotated through 90 deg... Horsehead is almost directly below Alnitak...

Tony G

Hi Chris,

Another great image and with so little effort, the scopes and mount just fall out of the motor, and hey presto, an image, mine fall out and they require collimation and gaffer tape.

Anyway well done.

Tony G

PS Is this one of your missing frames.   ;)

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

The FWHM of the stars in my subs was approx 4 pixels i.e. approx 3 arcsec.  That sounds a bit high to me but this star bloating is made up of 3 effects:
1) Seeing
2) Guiding deviations
3) De-focusing
4) Bayer pixel averaging on the colour CCD - this will bloat stars slightly

Quantifying each effect might be difficult ...

Mark