• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead done over two nights 27th and 29th

Started by Carole, Nov 30, 2011, 15:47:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I managed to get another 20 subs last night (had to discard 7 due to cloud same as Mark).

So total = 49 x 300secs (just over 4 hours), 800 ISO, Modified Canon 450D, CLS filter
Bromley back garden
27th = 29 subs - captured in Canon Utility, guided with PHD
29th = 20 subs - captured in APT with PHD dithering guiding
Skywatcher ED120 Pro, guided with QHY5 and ST80 on NEQ6 mount
I also used APT Framing Mask (although it didn't work exactly as it should have done), so the frames matched 99%

Link to original for comparison:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=8000.0

I think I got the colour a bit better this time, but Alnitak has more of a halo, so I guess this is down the the sky conditions.

Interestingly I was checking my Horsehead for 2010 and I did it on exactly the same day 27th November 2010!!

Larger file:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Horsehead_27th_and_29th_November_2011_total_49_subs_800_ISO_Canon_and_APT_Forum_size.jpg

MarkS

Looking very good.   
The image is a lot cleaner with the extra subs and the colour balance is much better.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, yes I am a lot happier with this version.  I knew it was too red last time, but couldn't seem to get it right.  Yet I usually approach my processing in the same way, but there must have been something I did different.

Carole

julian

Carole

Carole

Just to say I have been awarded POW on Astronomy Shed for this image.
Very chuffed.

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=6114

Carole
AS forum name is Carastro

MarkS

Carole

JohnP

Have to say Carole your best image yet - very nice indeed & congrats on POW (again...)

John.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

doug

Very nice image Carole. You are now up there with the "big" imagers... The next step is Astronomy magazines, television and radio interviews.  And you are a POW (prisoner of war?????????????)

I misread your name for that as Castrato..... oops .... :o  silly me.

Anyway, carry on the good work.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Thanks John, Fay, Robert and Doug.

QuoteI misread your name for that as Castrato..... oops ....   silly me.
:lol:

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Looking at your image again Carole - it really is very good - looks great on my 24inch screen - Colours are tons better than the original you posted (which was just red) - all in all a very nice image which compares very well against Mark's one from Kelling earlier this year...

You must be well chuffed...