• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81 LRGB with some IFN

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 22, 2012, 15:22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

We have spent about two hours processing this to get the IFN into the image.

This is 16 10 minute L, and 12x5 min RG and 16x5 min B.  Usual processing except the colour balance was done in PixInsight.

Chris

LRGB

LRGB HDR FINsRGB by chrissuddell, on Flickr

L

M81 IFN LUM by chrissuddell, on Flickr

MarkS

Wow!

That is really impressive.  A very deep image with a large number of background "fuzzies".  The intergalactic flux is also beginning to show quite well.

You must be really pleased with that.

Mark

Whitters

MarkS

You've even produced a monochrome version for Tony's benefit  :cheesy:

JohnP

Superb mate - the sort of image that wants to make me move to Les Granges... At full size you could crop the individual galaxies by themselves & they would be fantastically detailed images in their own right & then put them together with all that dusty stuff in between....... drool.....!!!!! Looks like You & Jim have had some great weather this week.... Nice one.

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 22, 2012, 22:19:09

You've even produced a monochrome version for Tony's benefit  :cheesy:

I do like a Mono.  :D

Excellent image.........................high five. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Thanks guys, high five.

You should see Olly's version with the 14" and the Mesu mount  :o

I took the night off last night after pulling one 5:30am and three 3am nights.  It was clear last night again and I can hear Jim whooping with delight over his laptop, not sure what that is all about!

Mike

Is that your TAK or Olly's you are using?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

That was with the FSQ85 at prime, Olly's.  But I set it up focused it, worked out how to get the Tak mount working with ASCOM, used my camera and processed it, so its my image!!!!

Chris

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I was just curious if you'd been brave enough to go spend the £3500 they cost to buy one !!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Quoteso its my image!!!!
... OK calm down calm down.....  :)

Rocket Pooch

MarkS

Judging by your image, that scope is certainly giving a very flat field with sharp stars from corner to corner.  The very slight elongations in the corners are barely discernable but are symmetric.  It's nothing to complain about.

FSQ85?  A tempting proposition ...

Rocket Pooch

I think the rotation was because the guide scope was about 10deg out !

But the scope is sharp....

How about swapping your Banana for one and getting a cooled CCD?  Hmm.

P.S. The sky reading here is 21.8.

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
How about swapping your Banana for one and getting a cooled CCD?  Hmm.

I'm not ruling anything out at this stage ...

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
P.S. The sky reading here is 21.8.

Is that a typical reading at Les Granges? I would have expected a higher reading than that.  
A typical night at Rother Valley/ High Halden is 20.6 early evening and rising to 20.8 in the early hours (maybe as people switch lights off) but it has reached 21.0 on very rare occasions (like Saturday night's imaging session).

However, here the sky quality drops very fast towards the horizon, which is probably not the case there!

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Yes that was 20 deg from up!  So not a lot of difference at 90 deg, but its almost that to the horizon.  Mind you the number of clear nights is good.

Again its clear tonight, but were having a night off, tomorrow is visual night!

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Mike on Feb 23, 2012, 18:58:00
I was just curious if you'd been brave enough to go spend the £3500 they cost to buy one !!

Not a chance not worth it...