• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC5146 - The Cocoon Nebula

Started by MarkS, Aug 15, 2010, 15:48:37

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The Cocoon Nebula taken on two nights (2 & 3 August 2010) from Riberac, France.  Taken early in the night before the moon became too troublesome.

H-alpha modified Canon EOS 350D on Banana Scope (Tak Epsilon 180ED at F2.8 )

33 x 5 min at ISO 800 + 3 x 5 min at ISO 100

Larger version here (2/3 scaled):
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/cocoon03082010.jpg

Mark

mickw

Nice one

Are the stars a little bloated on the large version or are my eyes buggered ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

cannot believe how many stars are in that area. Very nice Mark. Great dark lanes
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Wow!!! that's nearly perfik !!!

Excellent job Mark, though I suspect good data helps a bit ;-)

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

Very nice :-) do you know why the stars are a little fuzzy?  Also I did see a picture somewhere with the head of the nebula in the bottom left and the dark tail goes on for ages.

Chris

MarkS

Thanks for the comments.

Mick, Chris - I don't know the exact reason for the "fuzzy" or "bloated" stars but it's probably something to do with my processing - I found it difficult to bring out the dark lane without bloating the stars.

Chris - you're right - Barnard168 (the dark lane) does extend even further.  In hindsight I should have framed it with the Cocoon further down and left in the image.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

It is a great image Mark, I'm wondering what to do next so people go wow, your kinda hogging it all.

Chris

Tony G

You could always run naked through the fields, chasing black sheep, I bet that would make a few people go 'WOW!!!!'
Thinking about it, I think thats been done at Tuesnoad. :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: Not Space Dog anymore on Aug 15, 2010, 22:09:52
It is a great image Mark, I'm wondering what to do next so people go wow, your kinda hogging it all.

Sorry mate - I didn't mean to hog the whole Universe!  :D

The Achilles heel of my setup is that I'm essentially restricted to RGB.  If you pick a subject that looks spectacular in narrowband with false colour (e.g. using the Hubble palate) then I won't be able to touch you!

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Good, that means I just need to break Robert's kit then.

:-)

Rocket Pooch

I thought I'd done this, this was with an HX916 Mark, with an ED80, your FOV is amazing.

Cocoon-20070912 by chrissuddell, on Flickr

MarkS

Chris,

The FOV is due to the big CCD.

If you try the Cocoon again with your latest astro-camera on your ED80 with focal reducer, you'll get a field of view almost as large.

Mark

mickw

Quotethat I'm essentially restricted to RGB

Just curious..........

If you were to set the DSLR to B/W mode then use a narrow band filter could you then process that data as true narrow band to supplement the RGB or is the CCD not sensitive enough ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
If you were to set the DSLR to B/W mode then use a narrow band filter could you then process that data as true narrow band to supplement the RGB or is the CCD not sensitive enough ?

A DSLR does not have a true B/W mode  -  the CCD pixels each have a permanent  R, G or B filter on them.  So if, for instance, I use an H-alpha filter then only the "red" pixels will react since the H-alpha wavelength is red.  So only one quarter of the pixels will be of any use.  It is still worthwhile to do this (indeed I have taken some H-alpha images) but it is far better to use a dedicated B/W astro-CCD where all the pixels will receive a useful signal.

Mark

Tony G

Excellent image Mark,

I take where you are in France helps in the clarity of the image?
I wonder what my 350d will produce when we go in September.
I can only dream of images like the ones above, and many more within the society, but maybe one day I can get somewhere faintly near these.
In the meantime I'll make use of what I have.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson