• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead & Flame... SC3

Started by JohnP, Feb 07, 2007, 10:14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

At long last a half decent image... Everything seemed to work together at last. Image is widefield of the Horse region using my home modded SC3 through ZS66 SD-APO with a cheap 0.5X FR & a Astronomik 13nm Ha filter. Mount used was LXD-75 & I managed 20 X 60secs guided exposures. I could have done a lot more but I seem to have a problem with my mount in that when it gets over at a certain angle something starts slipping (must be gears due to loading) so long exposure becomes impossible. I must strip the mount down at some stage & take a look.

Image has a few problems (residual amp glow top left) & there seems to be a problem with focus bottom right - This may be due to FR or something not being quite square.

Anyway I am well chuffed this has been on my target list for a long time - I didn't think I'd be able to get this from my garden.

Cheers,  John.

Ian

just saw this on the QCUIAG list.

Nothing much to say other than fantastic.

Have you attempted the Tom How amp off mod mod yet?

JohnP

Cheers Ian & thks for your comments - No I haven't - I'm kinda loath to pull SC3 to bits again while it is working reasonably well. The main reason I had residual amp glow was because I didn't subtract a dark - I find that sometimes when I subtract a dark at processing stage it tends to reduce the overall quality of the picture (don't know why) so I prefer not to do it... Instead I had to manual remove all the tracks left by the hot pixels after stacking.... It wasn't too bad though there was only about 10 to do. I'm a bit upset my focus was off...

oh well next time I suppose....

Cheers,  John

Fay

John, fantastic!!! I want one of those!!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Fay - You have all the equipment so it should definitely be possible... - 60 secs with Ha filter & you should be laughing... Why don't you give it a try 2night before the snow arrives.....?

Thks,  John

Fay

John,

You read my mimd. Did you also use a FR, IR & CLS filters as well as Ha?

Fay

Fay

Ok John I can see you used a FR now, but what about IR & CLS?

thanks,

Fay

JohnP

If you use Ha you do not need the CLS (there is no point). I would recommend the IRB though.

I look forward to seeing your results tomorrow...

John

Ian

Fay

I am revved up, long johns on  & ready to go Ian!

Fay

Tony G

John,
Another lovely image of the horsehead, and I see on the new members list we have an apprentice in our ranks, and so there should be some competition in the Punnett household, and if Luke happens to start taking better images, no doubt you'll send him to bed early for one reason or another. :)
Anyway welcome aboard Luke and see you soon at DSC, if not sooner.

Tony G

ps  Fay I think you'll need more than long johns, don't forget the flask (hip). :wink:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Tony. Luke or should I say AstroLuke told me he had joined (kids these days eh...!) - We got him a Canon digital compact for Christmas & he was out taking his first widefield views of Orion when I was taking the horsey. I'm sure he will be posting it soon...

Cheers,  John

Fay

I was thinking it is Cool Hand Luke (going back a bit here!) but I think Luke Skywalker would be more appropriate!

Hi Luke

Fay

Rick

Quote from: "JohnP"Cheers Tony. Luke or should I say AstroLuke told me he had joined (kids these days eh...!)
Yep. His account should be active by now. ;)