• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tony's images from DSC

Started by JohnP, Dec 17, 2007, 14:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Tony, sent me the 4 images he had taken at DSC recently & asked me to have a look at them. So I did a few curves & levels iterations, cropped & then resized for 800 pixel width & did quick colour balance & some NR. Images are below. Tony - I think these are all amazing considering they are only single images taken in Jpeg mode with no guiding - We will be expecting a lot more on the forum now.... M45 has small amount of drift...

Cheers,  John

Mike

Excellent images Tony. Well better than my first attempts at astrophotography

Love the Orion and Running Man.!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Thanks for the images John,

Now that I  can take the photo's, I'll have to learn how to process them because there is a lot of difference between yours and mine.
Mike, to be honest it was my second attempt, as I lost the whole of Andromeda on the Friday night, and that was something that even David Copperfield (the magician, not Dickens) could not manage. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Tony,

Those are so impressive for unguided single exposures of 2-4 minutes - only one has any trailing.  Well done!

Do you want to swap your mount for a hardly used EQ6? 

Mark

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 18, 2007, 05:32:04.....Do you want to swap your mount for a hardly used EQ6?...

I have to say that since using the H-EQ5 over the last few nights, it seems a lot smoother with better PE than my EQ6. When I was guiding on Sunday night the average error was around 0.1 pixels. Either I got a duff EQ6, the new batch of mounts have better PE or the H-EQ5 's are better suited to my ED80/ST80 combination. The GoTo seems far more accurate too (though that may be due to the new v3.20 firmware). Weirdly, the H-EQ5 needs both counterweights for these scopes when on the EQ6 I just need one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

So Mike - What you been imaging then...? John

Mike

Not a lot really - last night I didn't as I was finishing off TOAST, but the night before I was doing asteroids Klio and Asp..?(something) which were magnitudes 12.0 and 13.9. I was just really trying to see :-

a) That the GoTo was accurate with the new firmware in the handset (v3.20) - (Yes it is)
b) What kind of magnitude I could reach with the ED80 within 4 minutes (not checked yet but I reckon around mag 17 - though light pollution was bad that night).

Hopefully over the weekend I can get out and do The Rosette Nebula in Ha.

JohnP

Do you do 3-star align? John

Carole

Fantastic pictures Tony, I have been showing my colleagues at work, they can't believe you are a learner. 
The enhancement from John has made a huge difference. 

Hope I can follow in your footsteps.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Dec 18, 2007, 10:41:32Do you do 3-star align?

I usually just do the 2 star align.

Fay

Tony, I am blown away by your images. Unguided & just so good, star trailing M45, which is a shame as it would have been good. You make it look like it can all be done with no effort.

I hope you are not boring Fliss with them at home. I can imagine you doing a Christmas Eve slide show of your images!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Mike, I remember you looking at my setup wondering why I was using 2 weights.
I was thinking it may have been the weight of the dual plate, which may have just tipped it over the weight edge.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!