• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - February 20th 2009

Started by Mike, Jan 30, 2009, 08:54:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Look good. 
What are the disadvantages that have stopped us using this regularly before?

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

This looks really good to me.  Especially with electric hookups because I had more or less given up the idea of imaging because I can't lug heavy stuff.  

Delphine

Oh!  just seen Mike's post.  Full of people isn't good!

Mike

Well it is a campsite. To be fair it is a large field so getting away from people isn't a huge problem. We have used it for DSC before and it was one of the best DSC's we have ever had. We will go there for the May DSC and see how people like it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

Rose and I would like to say thanks to everyone for having us at the DSC and being made welcome.  Thanks also from Rose`s bruvver Syd who also thoroughly enjoyed himself.  A special thanks to Mike and Cris for the luvverly curry which was consumed with much enjoyment and smacking of lips.  Yummy!!!!!!  It`s a pity we missed Tony`s fireworks.... and Comet Lulin.  Never mind, there is always another time.  Doug and Rose ..... and Syd. :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

QuoteWe will go there for the May DSC and see how people like it.

Sounds like a good idea.

JohnP

Will we need to book? Ive been there before in the summer & it was packed....

Mac

Just a thought,
If we all turn up, i.e. 6-8 tents,
Will we all be together?
Also will we get charged for putting up the communial tent?

mickw

I've asked them for more info - In case nobody else has........

If I get a reply in time, I'll bring a copy thursday, if not I'll send it to those interested.

Shooting the fish sounds challenging  :twisted:
Being a proper campsite, does that mean "best behaviour" or "business as usual"  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteAlso will we get charged for putting up the communial tent?
Even if we do, we still need one.

Carole

Fay

We have got to all be together!!  We all arrive at different times as well:(
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Woodlands don't require a booking, you can just turn up. Though perhaps it may be prudent to book in the summer and tell them we want to be together, i.e. get them to reserve some spots. Either that or whoever gets there first plants some flagpoles !!!

Yes we will get charged for the communal tent so everyone would have to chip in to cover it. I doubt it would be more than £1 each.

Yes, as it is a proper campsite it does unfortunately mean we will have to act at least reasonably sensibly.

The Thing

Having looked on Google Maps we would need to make sure we were as far away from the mobile homes as possible as they are bound to have lights on and off all the time as well as 'street' lights. Some long extension leads might be needed! However the area around about seems only full of chicken sheds and nice dark fields. The ground looks chalky so should be dry and firm, don't want my bits of my tripod to start sinking again.

mickw

Some of the mobile homes are more like houses and have security lights according to the camps website, although judging by the size of the place, I'm sure we could find somewhere to hide.
It seems the electric hook ups are around the middle of the field - according to a review  :-?

A review -
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=1571
More -
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1571

Google Maps
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.102684,0.66806208&z=16&t=h&hl=en-GB

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional