• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar watch - Monday 27th October 2014 Knole Park Sevenoaks, 11:00-15:00

Started by Sue, Oct 10, 2014, 09:38:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

This will be the third and last try this year at a solar watch in Knole Park,Sevenoaks, adjacent the car park, outside the house. This is the last ' family Monday',free event, being run by the National Trust at Knole this year and is in the school half term holiday.We will be an extra activity alongside crafts, guided walks etc.  Please let me know if you are interested in coming along to help for part or all of the time. I will provide more details nearer the date and of course we are at the mercy of the weather! I hope third time lucky : )

If you are interested coming to help man/bring the scope(s) please let me know beforehand. If you are not a trust member I think that I can arrange free entry for you at the gate.

Everyone welcome to drop in on the day.

Mike

I was about to say yes then saw it was  Monday. Oh well.

Best of luck with it.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Sue

We are going to be at Knole Sevenoaks tomorrow. I do hope the forecast is right :D

Carole

Sue

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Sue

We had a fantastic time up in Knole Park today. The early patchy cloud cleared to give a beautiful blue sky though it was quite breezy! We had superb views of the big sunspot,and also the long filament across the disc, there were many promenances around the limb too.
Our set up was of three scopes with white light filters, the society Coronado and the projection Solarscope. The instruments were in almost constant use throughout the day. The chance to view the sun was much appreciated by visitors of all ages plus volunteers and staff of the National Trust who came out to see us.
Thanks to Doug and Rose, David, Robin and Kenny for making the day such a success.

Mike

Sue

I didn't take a camera  :(   However Kenny and Doug have done a great job on the photographic front : )

doug

Mike, Kenny got a couple of great images of the sun; one from Sue`s Newtonian with a white light filter and one from the Coronado. Hope you can put then on the members images ...... :D

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Kenny

I find posting images to this forum such a b***dy faff, particularly as I can't do it from my phone and DropBox doesn't provide me with an embedable image link. So... here's the folder link to the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jak6nszt1h5hyuh/AABUcYOYhZ8GgQO9ir8j_3ufa?dl=0

Taken on 27th Oct (with my Samsung Galaxy S5) at the Knole Solar Watch. One using the OAS Coronado. One using Sue's Celestron Newt (4.5" ?) with white light filter. One using the Solarscope 'cardboard box'. Interesting to compare. On the white light ones you can see two smaller sunspots which on the Coronado version are connected by a filament.

p.s. any chance we can enable forum attachments now that we're onto a modern version?

Rick

Dropbox is particularly obstructive about linking images from elsewhere.

You could, however, use the gallery for images.

Kenny

Couple of others will add once I figure out why they won't upload into the gallery.