• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC891 + quick horsehead...

Started by JohnP, Dec 12, 2007, 11:00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Popped out for a few hours last night... Too early for horsehead so decided to try NGC891 (again) - captured aprox 30 X 3min subs.... also Orion was just rising as I finished up so did a single 10min sub to gauge FOV I would get using the 16ic & MN56 - look forward to doing this properly later...

Cheers,  John

Mike

THat's a great NGC891 John. Lot's of detail in the dust lanes. The FOV of the Horse is very narrow but that will enable you to get a nice detailed image of it. If you do a mosaic at that resolution you woul dhave an amazingly detailed image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Cheers Mike - Yep - My aim is to try & do a high res of just the head.... I have the option of using the ZS66 & my 0.5X FR for a wider FOV - actually ends up being pretty similar to the FOV that you got..

Mosaic sounds like hard work..... think I'll pass on that...

John

PS - did you have any joy last night up high elms..?

JohnP

Mike - I actually took 2 off the HH last night - I just managed to combine (although dodgy tracking & binned to give you an idea...)

John

Ian

that horsehead shows a lot of promise John. Another couple of freezing cold hours and that'll be superb.

Mike

John - We did go up to High Elms last night and had a very successful observing night. I took my kit but I was just trying to find asteroids with it as there isn't enough time for serious imaging. I found Ceres and Flora nd took two images an hour apart to show the motion. Was pleased that a) The H-EQ5 GoTo was accurate enough to find them and b) the RA/DEC co-ordinates and background starfields in The Sky 6 were accurate enough to identify the asteroids from the first image. It was an interesting experiment.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan