• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Iris Instructions

Started by mickw, Jul 13, 2010, 18:59:42

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The root problem is that Nebulosity screwed things up when it wrote each of your image files to disk.  Now neither Nebulosity nor Iris can correctly interpret the image data in the files.  That's why Nebulosity gives you weird colours and why Iris complains with an error message.

In my case I realised that the raw data itself was intact but that Nebulosity had written an incorrect file header.  I had to manually go into each FITS file with a Hex Editor and change some of the header values.  If you can put one of those FITS files somewhere I can pick it up, I *might* be able tell you what you need to do.  But I can't promise ...

Next time save the RAW files to the camera's card!

Mark

mickw

Cheers Mark although I can't figure out why this hasn't been sorted in Nebulosity  :-?

If you PM me your email I'll send a couple of fits.

Don't spend too much time on it, this is my first DS image and there will be more so I won't be heartbroken and there will be plenty more opportunities.
I'll also be saving raws to the card.

Thanks
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

At least you can get a virtually mono version out of Deep Sky Stacker...

MarkS

Mick,

I had a quick look at the FITS files you mailed me - they load OK in IRIS and there's actually nothing wrong with them though they've already been converted to RGB so you can't easily do the pre-processing steps - offsets, flats, darks etc.  Only the background is green and once you set this to black and adjust the threshold slider, M13 becomes quite obvious though a bit noisy because of your short exposures.

You should be able to do stellar registration in IRIS and then stack the resulting files together to produce a half-decent image.

Mark

mickw

Thanks Mark, something else for the weekend  :D

I still have the original fits so I might start again.
I did the short exposures because I could see M13 and figured that longer exposure would make it saturated and short would work out OK when stacked.
Must get some "L Plates"
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

You wanna borrow mine, Mick?  I will need them back, though, to try and sort out how to edit my holiday DVD`s on the laptop.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...